Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Dangers of crying it out

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:13 PM
  • 710 Replies
21 moms liked this
Don't do it.

http://m.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201112/dangers-crying-it-out

http://drbenkim.com/articles-attachment-parenting.html

http://mo.imperfectparent.com/topics/2011/12/16/dangers-of-crying-it-out-lifetime-of-harm/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by Christa on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:14 PM
31 moms liked this
i let my kids...they're fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:16 PM
19 moms liked this
We've never done CIO, never even had to consider it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misskimi78
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:18 PM
6 moms liked this
Oh man... I feel like this one is gonna be a debate starter! Lol. I'm not a fan of CIO, but there have been a few times where I have kind of done it. Altho, im lying right next to baby when I do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GentleGoddess
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:19 PM
69 moms liked this
When your sad, crying, does your husband ignore you? Do you self soothe? Do you turn to your mom, your sisters, your friends? Do you give up let it go? Just curious.... Do your babies not deserve the same care? The same treatment? It is ok to be sad and want comforting.

Quoting proudmommy690:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:19 PM
5 moms liked this
Pretty sure it's not considered CIO if you're actually with the baby :)

Quoting misskimi78:

Oh man... I feel like this one is gonna be a debate starter! Lol. I'm not a fan of CIO, but there have been a few times where I have kind of done it. Altho, im lying right next to baby when I do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
novachick
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:19 PM
124 moms liked this
Even if it's not dangerous, which I do believe the studies saying it is, I still wouldn't do it. There is NO reason to leave a baby to cry alone. What because I, an adult and mother, am tired or frustrated or whatever and don't feel like taking care of my baby I let them cry? I don't think so. I really can't think of any reason to let a baby cry on its own to learn or teach it anything. Crying ='s communication, their only form of communication. I will not ignore my baby's needs even if it's only their need for attention. It's selfish and that's not what being a parent is about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pochaccotx
by Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:21 PM
28 moms liked this

Done it with my dd and she is fine and now with ds.. And to answer the question when I do cry which is rarely yes I soothe myself I don't turn to anyone for comfort.

Quoting GentleGoddess:

When your sad, crying, does your husband ignore you? Do you self soothe? Do you turn to your mom, your sisters, your friends? Do you give up let it go? Just curious.... Do your babies not deserve the same care? The same treatment? It is ok to be sad and want comforting.

Quoting proudmommy690:

GentleGoddess
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Well depending on age of baby. That is different. If your right there. They aren't alone, waiting, hoping someone will come. You are already there.

Quoting misskimi78:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:24 PM
23 moms liked this

I have done cio on occasion.  Ds would wake up at night and refuse to go back to sleep when every time you pick him up he immediately falls back asleep.  And a few times I have been in the bathroom and he was refusing his nap and he would cry himself to sleep.  I don't rely on it or do it often, but i can't always drop everything to hold him.

carsonsmommytam
by Tammara on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:25 PM
59 moms liked this
That's good that your kids are fine :) But honestly, 'fine' isn't good enough for my children. I want better for them.
I'm not judging you on your decision to CIO, I just hate the 'my kids are fine' theory on ANY subject :0)

Quoting proudmommy690:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)