Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

CIO Definition

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:13 PM
  • 84 Replies
1 mom liked this
One of the problems with CIO debates is that it seems everyone has their own definition / opinion of what "crying it out" actually means. When you use the term CIO, what are you refering to? What is your definition?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Sleep training.   Leaving an infant to cry alone in their bed as a means to "teach" them to fall asleep on their own so they will hopefully stop waking up at night. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
aimesnyc
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Thank you for posting this!  My assumption is that when people refer to CIO, they mean just letting the baby cry until they finally fall asleep, without any comfort at all from their parent(s).

People also need to know that the Ferber method is, yes, letting your baby cry.  But you go in and comfort your baby (you can pat their tummy, stroke their head, etc, but can't pick them up) at intervals (5 min, then 10 min, then 15 min.  You shouldn't let them cry longer than 15 min).  This is what I did with my baby.  It was hard at first, but at least I could go in an reassure him that I was there.  And you must lay them down when they are obviously drowsy, not just when you think they should go to bed.

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Quoting aimesnyc:

Thank you for posting this!  My assumption is that when people refer to CIO, they mean just letting the baby cry until they finally fall asleep, without any comfort at all from their parent(s).

People also need to know that the Ferber method is, yes, letting your baby cry.  But you go in and comfort your baby (you can pat their tummy, stroke their head, etc, but can't pick them up) at intervals (5 min, then 10 min, then 15 min.  You shouldn't let them cry longer than 15 min).  This is what I did with my baby.  It was hard at first, but at least I could go in an reassure him that I was there.  And you must lay them down when they are obviously drowsy, not just when you think they should go to bed.

Ferber is probably the most well-known CIO advocate... so I think when "most' people say CIO, they're referring the his method in general.  But there are several other methods out there with varying degrees of responding to the child, or not. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:44 PM
2 moms liked this

This.

Leaving a baby to cry, for any period of time. It's not something I would ever do.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Sleep training.   Leaving an infant to cry alone in their bed as a means to "teach" them to fall asleep on their own so they will hopefully stop waking up at night. 

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/387292_2884772599754_1273299282_33296172_1842233479_n.jpg

aimesnyc
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting aimesnyc:

Ferber is probably the most well-known CIO advocate... so I think when "most' people say CIO, they're referring the his method in general.  But there are several other methods out there with varying degrees of responding to the child, or not. 

That's very true.  I just hope that people that aren't too familiar with Ferber realize that it doesn't mean just letting the baby cry until the sleep, without comforting them, and laying them down at a certain time instead of when they are obviously tired.  :)

CafeMom Tickers
angela.bouchard
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Mehhh when other people post it I view it as them leaving their baby to cry for long period of time before they fall asleep.

My version of it was laying him down when I knew he was tired, with his music on and seeing if he will fuss or not. Lol although we practice "cry it out" my son rarely actually cries because I helped him transition to that point of going to sleep by himself.

kameka
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 2:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm curious - what do you do if you're otherwise occupied and baby starts crying? Do you drop everything to soothe baby or do you take the two minutes you need to finish what you're doing? What if you have two or three that are crying? Are you talking about just for sleep or does this include crying for mysterious reasons? Is there an age when you feel it's ok to let them cry some? Sorry, I'm just really curious!

Quoting Randi02:

This.

Leaving a baby to cry, for any period of time. It's not something I would ever do.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

If my kids cry, I go to them. I can't think of much I would be doing that couldn't wait.

Until they start to play independently and crawl, I wear them pretty much 24/7 in a wrap or Ergo - so they sleep/nurse while I get things done.

It's really rare that I have more than one crying, they don't cry for no reason - so I deal with the one who needs me most first (newborn, someone who is hurt etc.)

What do you mean by 'mysterious' reasons? If one of my babies was crying and I couldn't figure out why, I held them. I never left them alone until they were calmed down and ready to sleep. My youngest has Celiac disease, and we didn't find out until she was 14 months. From the time we started solid food (8/9 months) until we got the diagnosis, she cried non stop. I was up several times an hour with her through the night. CIO was never an option. I nursed her, bounced her etc. until I needed a break and then my husband would take her for a bit. I am glad we never let her cry alone, she was in pain :( The night we stopped the gluten, she slept two 6 hour stretches - and then 13 hours every night since.

Quoting kameka:

I'm curious - what do you do if you're otherwise occupied and baby starts crying? Do you drop everything to soothe baby or do you take the two minutes you need to finish what you're doing? What if you have two or three that are crying? Are you talking about just for sleep or does this include crying for mysterious reasons? Is there an age when you feel it's ok to let them cry some? Sorry, I'm just really curious!

Quoting Randi02:

This.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/387292_2884772599754_1273299282_33296172_1842233479_n.jpg

abra
by Abra on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:00 AM
I think it means something different to everyone. CIO on it's own to me is Ferber method. Compassionate CIO is more like the Baby Whisperer method.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenzieQsMommy
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:03 AM
3 moms liked this
My definition? Mean
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN