Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

I would like to know about cloth diapers.

Posted by   + Show Post

I honestly never knew that people still used cloth diapers until I got pregnant and started using this site. I am 26 weeks, and I am just now starting to think about using them. So tell me, cloth mama's... Other than them being cheaper than buying disposables all the time... what are some advantages to cloth diapering? It seems like it would just be a big mess a lot of the time (with diarreah and such) do you pre-rinse them before you wash them? Tell me some facts about them... what I should know... Like I said... this is a COMPLETELY foreign concept to me... I have NEVER seen anyone use them. Thank you in advance =)

pregnancy calendar

Photobucket

by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
baquick
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:12 PM
I'd just start building a stash and go from there. Personally. I've always Those services were a sham. That's what deterred me from cloth diapering until ds was almost 2 and I found out about the cute ones lol.

That's over a 1000 dollars a year. Say your child is in diapers for 3 years, that's over $3000.

You could build a stash and do it way cheaper and have cutier diapers.

Quoting milly88:

i am actually looking into a service that will give me 80 diapers a week for 20 dollars each week. they will deliver your new diapers when they pick up the old ones

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmack2107
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Wow! Thank you so much for all the information!

Quoting LaughterHugs:

YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Just a quick tip - if you buy prefolds (my preferred method), buy a good brand right away. I bought cheap ones and while they have worked well they are getting worn out. I think if I had bought a better brand they would have lasted longer. As it is, I shall have to buy new ones for the next baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrumpyMama
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:51 PM

My new favorite thing to tell people as to why cloth is better is air flow.  Think of disposables as saran wrapped underwear that has a giant maxi pad in it.  There is NO air flow going on in disposable diapers.  There are a bunch of faces in the cloth diaper world. There are All in Ones, that you wash and dry without doing anything else. There are Pockets, that you get to chose how much absorbancy goes into them. There are fitteds, they are the cloth diaper that has no waterproofing to it and needs a cover. There are Covers, which come in breathable PUL and super breathable wool.  Then there are prefolds and flats, which is what everyone thinks of when they think of cloth diapers (they are still around because they are still awesome).

Washing routine is easy,  cold/warm prewash, hot wash with soap*, hot/warm rinse, cold final. Any stuffing can go into the dryer. Waterproofed outsides are best to airdry.

*Soaps is where it gets tricky. You have to invest in a cloth diaper SAFE soap. Not all detergents are the same. You will have to buy a few samples to test out which works best.

Kelly's Closet is a fantastic site that has ever type of diaper out there and loads of info.

You can even cloth diaper overnight and do cloth wipes. There are some that you can diaper baby from birth to potty for under $200.  Illness poops, NB poops, first food poops, toddler poop, cloth holds it all in so you are not only saving $$ on diapers, you are saving $$ on clothes too.

FrumpyMama
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Please please don't buy Gerber, they are worthless and are just good for burpclothes. I used them with my first and man did they suck!

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Just a quick tip - if you buy prefolds (my preferred method), buy a good brand right away. I bought cheap ones and while they have worked well they are getting worn out. I think if I had bought a better brand they would have lasted longer. As it is, I shall have to buy new ones for the next baby.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:55 PM

I love them :)

They go on and off like a disposable diaper, the only difference is they get washed. I use a wet bag for storing them until I have a full load.

Are you going to be breastfeeding? If so, you don't NEED to rinse the poop before washing. With formula fed baby poop, and once they start solids - just shake it into the toilet. That should be done even with disposable diapers.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/387292_2884772599754_1273299282_33296172_1842233479_n.jpg

YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:55 PM
Lol, that is the brand I bought. They seem to work ok, they are just wearing out faster than I would have liked. Next baby I am buying nice ones!

Quoting FrumpyMama:

Please please don't buy Gerber, they are worthless and are just good for burpclothes. I used them with my first and man did they suck!

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrumpyMama
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:55 PM

You can also get a toilet sprayer, had it to the handy dh and if you have one that is sticky. INTO THE TOILET IT GOES. Evil laughter is a fun bonus.

Quoting cowgirlsmommy:

Quoting bmack2107:

so you put them in there poop and all? (I know that sounds like a dumb question... =\ sorry

Quoting cowgirlsmommy:

Cheaper (as long as you don't get addicted to buying cute ones), better for the environment, fewer rashes (if any at all), no late night store runs, no leaks, no looking for a trash can, less chemicals, and they're just cute!!!

They hold in messy poops better than any disposable ever will.  I do not spray them off or anything special.  Dirty ones go into a simple diaper pail with a pail liner in it until wash day.  They all get dumped in the washer.  Hot wash with no detergent, hot wash with diaper safe detergent, and an extra rinse.  

When they're infants with that lovely liquid poo, yes.  When they're a little older, you just hold the diaper over the toilet and the poop falls right off.  Then it goes in the pail.  It's not a dumb question btw.  I was totally lost when I started out.  The group Cuties With Cloth Booties on here helped me figure everything out.

FrumpyMama
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:58 PM

I did too, because I didn't know. Man was I sorry. I have nice seconds now and I just can't get over how bad Gerbers are. They are kleenex compared to real indian/chinese prefolds. Check to see if there is a diaper service near you. They sometimes sell seconds, that's how I got mine and for way cheap. $10 for 6.

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Lol, that is the brand I bought. They seem to work ok, they are just wearing out faster than I would have liked. Next baby I am buying nice ones!

Quoting FrumpyMama:

Quoting YzmaRocks:

bmack2107
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Yes, I will be breast feeding =)

Quoting Randi02:

I love them :)

They go on and off like a disposable diaper, the only difference is they get washed. I use a wet bag for storing them until I have a full load.

Are you going to be breastfeeding? If so, you don't NEED to rinse the poop before washing. With formula fed baby poop, and once they start solids - just shake it into the toilet. That should be done even with disposable diapers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN