Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

I would like to know about cloth diapers.

Posted by   + Show Post

I honestly never knew that people still used cloth diapers until I got pregnant and started using this site. I am 26 weeks, and I am just now starting to think about using them. So tell me, cloth mama's... Other than them being cheaper than buying disposables all the time... what are some advantages to cloth diapering? It seems like it would just be a big mess a lot of the time (with diarreah and such) do you pre-rinse them before you wash them? Tell me some facts about them... what I should know... Like I said... this is a COMPLETELY foreign concept to me... I have NEVER seen anyone use them. Thank you in advance =)

pregnancy calendar

Photobucket

by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Replies (21-30):
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:01 AM

I bought the Bummis starter kit a few years ago. I only used a couple, but they worked really well!

I sent them to a mama on here and she is still using them for her other child - 3 years later!

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Lol, that is the brand I bought. They seem to work ok, they are just wearing out faster than I would have liked. Next baby I am buying nice ones!

Quoting FrumpyMama:

Please please don't buy Gerber, they are worthless and are just good for burpclothes. I used them with my first and man did they suck!

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Just a quick tip - if you buy prefolds (my preferred method), buy a good brand right away. I bought cheap ones and while they have worked well they are getting worn out. I think if I had bought a better brand they would have lasted longer. As it is, I shall have to buy new ones for the next baby.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/387292_2884772599754_1273299282_33296172_1842233479_n.jpg

YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:03 AM
No diaper service, unless there is a new one. Maybe I should invest in some now...I have a little extra cash saved up.

Quoting FrumpyMama:

I did too, because I didn't know. Man was I sorry. I have nice seconds now and I just can't get over how bad Gerbers are. They are kleenex compared to real indian/chinese prefolds. Check to see if there is a diaper service near you. They sometimes sell seconds, that's how I got mine and for way cheap. $10 for 6.

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Lol, that is the brand I bought. They seem to work ok, they are just wearing out faster than I would have liked. Next baby I am buying nice ones!

Quoting FrumpyMama:

Please please don't buy Gerber, they are worthless and are just good for burpclothes. I used them with my first and man did they suck!

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Just a quick tip - if you buy prefolds (my preferred method), buy a good brand right away. I bought cheap ones and while they have worked well they are getting worn out. I think if I had bought a better brand they would have lasted longer. As it is, I shall have to buy new ones for the next baby.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrumpyMama
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:04 AM

This brand is on sale $15 for 12.  If I didn't already have a full stash I'd buy some.

Quoting YzmaRocks:

No diaper service, unless there is a new one. Maybe I should invest in some now...I have a little extra cash saved up.

Quoting FrumpyMama:

I did too, because I didn't know. Man was I sorry. I have nice seconds now and I just can't get over how bad Gerbers are. They are kleenex compared to real indian/chinese prefolds. Check to see if there is a diaper service near you. They sometimes sell seconds, that's how I got mine and for way cheap. $10 for 6.

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Quoting FrumpyMama:

Quoting YzmaRocks:

YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:06 AM
Thanks!

Quoting FrumpyMama:

This brand is on sale $15 for 12.  If I didn't already have a full stash I'd buy some.

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Quoting FrumpyMama:

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Quoting FrumpyMama:

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flowerfunleah
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this

You should check out the Cuties With Cloth Booties group here on cafemom! The moms there know ALL about everything to do with cloth.

We use cloth mainly because it's cheaper. We also use cloth wipes! My most favorite diaper (and you can get it almost anywhere that sells cloth diapers) is the thirsties duo wrap pocket diaper. Thank GOD for thirsties.

Also, google and see if you can find any cloth diaper stores in your area. Usually a store like that will offer a class in cloth diapering how-to and give you lots of information about it. Thats what we did before Dd was born!

Daeraelle
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I would have cloth diapered, but the apartments we have lived in since our DD was born don't have washer and dryer hook ups. I just didn't want to have to make a trip to the laundromat to wash the cloth diapers. My DH and I share a car, so sometimes our laundry gets quite backed up, and I might have had to buy some disposables just in case anyway. However, we plan to own a house by the time baby #2 comes along, so cloth diapering will be much easier with a washer and dryer in the house.

I also had never seen or heard about them until I joined this site. I get jealous of the adorable cloth diapers I see other kids wearing. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrKennys_Mom
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:14 AM
The only reason I didn't use cloth on ds is because I lived in an apartment when he was born and there was no way i could afford all the extra laundry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Michelle_R
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:19 AM

I think its cheaper i only have to wash them i dont have to worry about her not having any or running to the store to get some.

milly88
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:28 PM

true. the only reason i would do the service at the moment is because we are living with our grandma and the dryers heating element is gone out for right now and also she has water set on cold only with the hot water not hooked up with a hose or anything.

Quoting baquick:

I'd just start building a stash and go from there. Personally. I've always Those services were a sham. That's what deterred me from cloth diapering until ds was almost 2 and I found out about the cute ones lol.

That's over a 1000 dollars a year. Say your child is in diapers for 3 years, that's over $3000.

You could build a stash and do it way cheaper and have cutier diapers.

Quoting milly88:

i am actually looking into a service that will give me 80 diapers a week for 20 dollars each week. they will deliver your new diapers when they pick up the old ones

baquick
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Some air dry them in the sun. There are some types of diapers you can't sun dry but can air dry.

I can see where the service would be appealing to you though. Lol!

Quoting milly88:

true. the only reason i would do the service at the moment is because we are living with our grandma and the dryers heating element is gone out for right now and also she has water set on cold only with the hot water not hooked up with a hose or anything.

Quoting baquick:

I'd just start building a stash and go from there. Personally. I've always Those services were a sham. That's what deterred me from cloth diapering until ds was almost 2 and I found out about the cute ones lol.

That's over a 1000 dollars a year. Say your child is in diapers for 3 years, that's over $3000.

You could build a stash and do it way cheaper and have cutier diapers.

Quoting milly88:

i am actually looking into a service that will give me 80 diapers a week for 20 dollars each week. they will deliver your new diapers when they pick up the old ones

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN