Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

I would like to know about cloth diapers.

Posted by   + Show Post

I honestly never knew that people still used cloth diapers until I got pregnant and started using this site. I am 26 weeks, and I am just now starting to think about using them. So tell me, cloth mama's... Other than them being cheaper than buying disposables all the time... what are some advantages to cloth diapering? It seems like it would just be a big mess a lot of the time (with diarreah and such) do you pre-rinse them before you wash them? Tell me some facts about them... what I should know... Like I said... this is a COMPLETELY foreign concept to me... I have NEVER seen anyone use them. Thank you in advance =)

pregnancy calendar

Photobucket

by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Replies (31-33):
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:42 PM

I love cloth diapers!  The reasons we chose to use them was to save money, they are so much better for the environment (one baby produces 2 tons of non biodegradable trash from disposable diapering each year that they are in diapers!) and they're better for babies skin (my daughter is 17 months and has never once had even a hint of diaper rash).  We have a diaper sprayer that is connected to our bathroom sink so we spray diapers out into the toilet before we put them in the pail.  I do about 2 or 3 extra loads of laundry a week so it's really not that much more work.  You can also by flushable biodegradable diaper liner that goes inside the diaper so if baby poops you just remove the liner and flush it...that way no or very little poop gets on the actual diaper.  Join the cuties with cloth booties group they have tons of great info!

milly88
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:44 PM

i brought up that it would be cheaper to buy and wash them instead. said i could do it by hand but he was all grossed out by the fact. i think he believes hands cant be washed sometimes lol. plus also he says they wont get as clean which is true.

Quoting baquick:

Some air dry them in the sun. There are some types of diapers you can't sun dry but can air dry.

I can see where the service would be appealing to you though. Lol!

Quoting milly88:

true. the only reason i would do the service at the moment is because we are living with our grandma and the dryers heating element is gone out for right now and also she has water set on cold only with the hot water not hooked up with a hose or anything.

Quoting baquick:

I'd just start building a stash and go from there. Personally. I've always Those services were a sham. That's what deterred me from cloth diapering until ds was almost 2 and I found out about the cute ones lol.

That's over a 1000 dollars a year. Say your child is in diapers for 3 years, that's over $3000.

You could build a stash and do it way cheaper and have cutier diapers.

Quoting milly88:

i am actually looking into a service that will give me 80 diapers a week for 20 dollars each week. they will deliver your new diapers when they pick up the old ones

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I just thought of another advantage of cloth diapering: babies who are cloth diapered tend to potty train earlier then those in disposables...I think maybe because it's easier to tell when they're wet.  But last time I ordered new diapers it came with a little pamphlet that outlined all the advantages of cloth diapers and it said cloth diapered children potty train at an average age of 2.5 as opposed to 3.5 with disposable diapered children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN