Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Carseats .. Help !

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:59 PM
  • 18 Replies
Ok my son is 3 yrs old , he got us pulled over today by the cops bc he threw trash out the window . Well luckily we didn't get a ticket .

About the carseat , he likes to undo the top buckle of his straps and slide them off . I have to rebuckle them every 4 -5 mins . I've tried almost everything to keep him from doing it . Do they make any type of lock to put on their to where he can't figure it out . My son is super smart . You don't even have to show him to do something . He watches u do it once he knows how to do it . Were very lucky we didn't get a ticket with it today ! I noticed it after the cop left that he had the straps off . I just don't know what else to do !!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:01 AM
3 moms liked this
First of all... Mega cop fail for not noticing. Second of all, it's a behavioral problem that just needs to be fixed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jnttd
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:03 AM
2 moms liked this
Ask him if he wants to go to the park. When he unbuckles while the car is moving, stop and tell him you're not going unless he's buckled. If he does it again, turn around and go home. Maybe that will let him know you're serious?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree.

Is he strapped in properly? Have you pulled over and refused to move the car until he leaves it alone? Explain to him WHY it's important he keeps it on. My SIL told my niece that she could fall out of the car if she took it off. That scared her into keeping it on.

That's all I've got LOL, none of my kids have ever done that.

Quoting ceckyl:

First if all... Mega cop fail for not noticing. Second of all, it's a behavioral problem that just needs to be fixed.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/387292_2884772599754_1273299282_33296172_1842233479_n.jpg

mommy_4509
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:05 AM
We've tried that , it don't work lol . We try that everytime . He buckles it but within a few mins he will undo it again . He's a great kid . It's just when it comes to being in the car he don't listen !

Quoting jnttd:

Ask him if he wants to go to the park. When he unbuckles while the car is moving, stop and tell him you're not going unless he's buckled. If he does it again, turn around and go home. Maybe that will let him know you're serious?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilmama3189
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:06 AM
I'm not sure, but I had a problem when my son was 3. He would constantly throw things towards the driver (I,have a mini van) & un buckling himself. I tried everything & Nothing helped so finally I got fed up & drove to the police station & asked if one of the officers could talk to him. He calmly told my son it was dangerous & not safe.. ect, the conversation only lasted maybe 5 minutes @the most but I have never had that problem again. My son was scared the rest of the day but he was fine after that, he just Never did it again.. its been almost a year
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baquick
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:07 AM
That's just something to work on :-/ if there was such a thing, I don't see how it could be any kind of safe.

Keep talking to him. Make sure he understands. Show him you tube videos of crash dummies.

Maybe get a portable DVD player to strap onto to the headrest in front of him and distract him with a movie? I know it's not the best way... But maybe it will work?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mochasista
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Between throwing trash out of the window and unbuckling his car seat it sounds like he needs some discipline, not a new car seat.

mommy_4509
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Yes , he is strapped it properly. We've even tightened it on his shoulders and he still manages to slip it off . Weve told him we won't take him to nanas we've told him to put it on or we don't go bye bye or we've told him he won't get bear Whig is his fav toy to carry . It's something he carries everywhere he sleeps with . It's his security blanket basically . He will put his straps back on but just for a few more min. Sometimes we don't have trouble but more times than not he's taking the straps off .

Quoting Randi02:

I agree.

Is he strapped in properly? Have you pulled over and refused to move the car until he leaves it alone? Explain to him WHY it's important he keeps it on. My SIL told my niece that she could fall out of the car if she took it off. That scared her into keeping it on.

That's all I've got LOL, none of my kids have ever done that.

Quoting ceckyl:

First if all... Mega cop fail for not noticing. Second of all, it's a behavioral problem that just needs to be fixed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyajay
by Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:13 AM
2 moms liked this
Straps above his shoulders? Straps snug? Idk what to say other than its a discipline issue. I would slam on the brakes an scare the shit out of him.... But I'm kinda mean
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_4509
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 12:15 AM
He's a great kid ! He's not bad . He is very well disciplined when needed . We've busted his bottom , grounded him , took stuff away . He's Just been doing this recently . I just don't know what to do . I wish carseats designed that upper buckle to where the kids can't figure them out . He's 3 yrs old . Just turned 3 in the 5th and he still doesnt quite understand what happened today or even the fact he doesn't understand that it's bad to unbuckle his seatbelt . I've explained to him it's bad it's just he still doesn't get the concept . Hes 3 .

Quoting mochasista:

Between throwing trash out of the window and unbuckling his car seat it sounds like he needs some discipline, not a new car seat.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)