Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Solid Feedings

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:08 AM
  • 11 Replies

My son is 5 months old and is getting ready to eat solids regularly. I have been having him try solids and then checking a couple days later if he's allergic or not. So far we are at, sweet potatoes (his favorite), bananas, apples, pears, squash, and green beans. We have more to try but as a first time mom I am so confused with what and how much to feed him at breakfast, lunch and dinners. And my question is what foods were/are feeding your LO for breakfast, lunch and dinners? 

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cherrywaves21
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:10 AM
My little dude has 3 snacks a day. About 3 hours after his bottle he will have a half jar of prunes ( his fave) or peas. So right now it's not his main source of food he has a morning afternoon and dinner snack.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ConnorMom228
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:11 AM
ALWAYS give breastmilk or formula FIRST! Never replace it with food. Food is only for practice right now. And they only need a couple tablespoons at a time.
That young I gave ds a bit of oatmeal in the morning. And then pureed veggies in the evening. After a couple months he got some of what I was eating.
I wasn't consistent about food until he turned a year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xx.felisha.xx
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:11 AM
oatmeal, applesauce, sweet potatoes, bananas, yogurt, hawaiian dessert, other dessert ones and more but can't remmeber names.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:15 AM
We didn't start solids until a couple of months older. Solids before age 1 are just for fun. So there's no quantity they "should" be eating. Just offer them immediately after nursing/bottle and have them be like dessert. Then baby gets the practice, but it isn't taking away from the breastmilk/formula that should be their source of nutrition in the first year.
(my guy is 14 months now and still doesn't eat 3 meals a day. The way I see it is they have 80-90+ years for solids, why rush?)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dietsunkist
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:21 AM
I nurse my 5 month old first then offer her a few bites. She doesn't ever want more than about 5 small bites! I think she likes to taste new things but isn't actually interested in eating it for food.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xxMissThingxx
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Alexa eats about 2oz of cereal a day. Most of the time I mix applesauce in for flavor. Man does she chow. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ejbljb
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM
Your baby's diet should consist primarily of breastmilk or formula. Solids are just an extra, so there is no certain amount that he should be getting. Be cautious that he is still getting enough formula of breastmilk.
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:38 AM

We weren't up to 3 meals a day until 10-11 months with both boys.   When they started, it was only every 2-3 days, then built up from there.  

At that time, they'd have toast and eggs for breakfast, probably some fruit, avocado, beans, veggies, etc.. (whatever was easy) for lunch... and then whatever we were having for dinner.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
aimesnyc
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:39 AM

My son will be 6 months on Sunday, and he only gets about a Tbsp of an appropriate fruit or veggie at night before his last bottle.  Right now we are just experimenting, seeing what he likes and is allergic to, etc

Right now he's not eating any solids (aside from a little oat cereal) because he hasn't been feeling 100% (It's either bad allergies or a cold). 

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:49 AM

We wait until 7-10 months (until they can pick up the food and feed themselves), and then offer whatever we are eating. Salmon, avocado, banana, sweet potato, steamed veggies etc. were some of their first foods.

Before a year, breast milk (or formula) should be their main source of nutrition.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/387292_2884772599754_1273299282_33296172_1842233479_n.jpg

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)