Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help !! My 20 month old never sleeps ever!

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:40 PM
  • 7 Replies

I have a 20 month old who  hardly ever sleeps. He slept great when he was smaller since he was one its gone down hill. I have tried everything !! He takes a hour and a half nap during the day and is in bed at 8:30 at night. We keep the same schedule everyday . Between 8:30 and midnight he will wake up 3 or 4 times but go back to sleep. Then he wakes up at 2 am wide awake ready to go for the day .its usually about 5 am until he falls back asleep and then is up at 7 am  ready to take on the day. I had taken him to his Dr, and she had no answers for me . She said to let him get up and play. He doesnt need to play more he needs more sleep!! 6 hours of sleep a night is not enough for a toddler who is active all day. Im also 7 months pregnant and I am currently getting 4 hours of sleep because of all of this . I have no idea what to do and I feel so bad for him not being able to sleep. Someone said give him melatonin it worked for them but I just dont feel good about giving him something without the Dr.s go ahead . Im really hoping someone can help me or lead me in the right direction .

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Tnut
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Have you tried the baby wrap method(wrappng the baby tight in a baby blanket making sure his arms and legs are snug. This will stop him from shaking himself awake.   Have you tried giving him more solid foods. 

moroccanmommy
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM
Sounds like he is preppin u for new baby.
Maybe put him to bed later...
My 7mo wakes to eat about 2-4 times at night. Sounds normal

suppliments for 20 mo old.... No way
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angela.bouchard
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:30 PM

My son was the same way between 12-18 months. Is he teething? My son's doctor said he was actually talking in his sleep and waking up periodically after dreams-apparently he just has a very active mind. Do you get up with him in the middle of the night? Do you let him play? Drink? Eat? 

My advice from the doctor was this-

Do not get up with him at night.

If you give something to drink, do not give anything but water.

Do not feed him.

Don't let him play.

All of these things make them think it is okay for them to get up.

Is he upset when he gets up? Or just awake?

Karrie_1970
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Quoting angela.bouchard:

My son was the same way between 12-18 months. Is he teething? My son's doctor said he was actually talking in his sleep and waking up periodically after dreams-apparently he just has a very active mind. Do you get up with him in the middle of the night? Do you let him play? Drink? Eat? 

Do not feed him.

Don't let him play.

He is just wide awake ! Its like he has insomnia . He hardly ever wants anything to drink . I keep him in his room because I dont want him to think that when he wakes up its play time. I hate the thought of him sitting in there alone for hours in the dark, Its not that he wants me he just cant sleep. I have let him be in his room alone and it just breaks my heart it could be up to 4 hours. I rock him now and cuddle he just lays there awake. Im hoping to hear back from his dr today . 

larissalarie
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Try cutting out his nap?

When my middle child (my one "bad" sleeper) wakes up in the middle of the night, he gets put back to bed and told he had to stay in bed while it's dark outside. You might have to do it 10+ times a night for a month, but eventually he'll figure out he's at least got to stay in bed at night, even if he's not sleeping. Almost 2 is plenty old enough to learn!

What's his diet like? Does he get much processed food? Some kids are super sensitive to any artificial ingredients and this can cause issues with sleeping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angela.bouchard
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 3:04 PM

If he's not upset then I would just leave him in there. I know it's frustrating (I've been there!!) but getting him up is only reinforcing his behavior. You have to sleep at some time so if that means you're sleeping at night while he is up talking or playing in bed, that's fine. My son did this for close to 6 months and eventually I had to learn to ignore him, because there was nothing wrong with him.

Quoting Karrie_1970:

Quoting angela.bouchard:

Do not feed him.

Don't let him play.

He is just wide awake ! Its like he has insomnia . He hardly ever wants anything to drink . I keep him in his room because I dont want him to think that when he wakes up its play time. I hate the thought of him sitting in there alone for hours in the dark, Its not that he wants me he just cant sleep. I have let him be in his room alone and it just breaks my heart it could be up to 4 hours. I rock him now and cuddle he just lays there awake. Im hoping to hear back from his dr today . 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

"So, I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we’ll never know most of them. But even if we don’t have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose wherever we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them." 

Join us in the Babies group!

deccaf
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 3:15 PM

DD is 18 months and has slept through the night 3 times in her entire life.  Last night was one.  Other times, she goes through periods of sleep regression where she is up 10 times a night.  She sometimes has nightmares, sometimes wants something to drink.  I will always be awake when she is, unless DH is up with her.  I can't leave her alone while she is up.  I only wanted 1 baby, but I can't imagine being pregnant while going through this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)