Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UPDATE!!!! *Please Help!! Major Spitting Up Issue... Advice Much Appreciated!! :(

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:49 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

Okay... I have two other children, but my first son spit up every so often. My daughter hardly ever. Now, my 1 month old... He's constantly spitting up. More like puking. He's got to be regurgitating 1/2-full amount of his bottle. Dr has already had me cut back on how much he took in thinking he was just getting too much... Then we had to switch to formula with added rice... and then they had us switch to soy ((which caused major backup for his poor little buns!)). NOTHING has worked.

Anybody else have/has had a baby who spit up like this?? Im having such a hard time with keeping up on laundry it's ridiculous. What could be causing this?? Any advice?? He has an appointment tomorrow so Im hoping they'll be able to pinpoint it soon. :(

UPDATE: Well, it was certainly an eventful and stressing weekend. At his dr's appointment, I brought up all the issues we've been having. At first they thought Acid Reflux... Until I described that the spitting up was more like projectile vomitting. The doctor immediately ordered an ultrasound ((leaving my poor fiance, step-father to my 4yr old, to deal with Christian's appointment, where they surprised us with "Well he's due from some immunizations today!!" He's never dealt with that before since our 1month old is his first)) and they found he had Pyloric Stenosis. We went back to the doctor's office to pick up my other son and fiance, of course, I HAD to tell Christian if I heard he was brave during his shots, we would go right to the park after... And OF COURSE.... That had to be the first thing he asked when we got back. He was so proud of himself for not crying or freaking out... I heard he was INCREDIBLE. I explained what was going on with his baby brother, and he understood rather well. Dropped Christian and Leahlyn off at the babysitters and went down to the other hospital they transferred us to. Logan's surgery was Saturday morning. He did great!! Exceeded expectations as far as food intake and keeping it down. We came home last night. He's been doing great ever since!!! Picked up a little something for Christian to reward his bravery when we got Logan his "Get Well" gifts. Leah got something as well because she was awesome since I had her with me and Logan for the ultrasound. She did great as well... Behaved, didn't fuss. Just so glad to be home with all of my babies. And extremely glad that this is all over with and we can enjoy our little LoganMan without having to wear a towel. Haha. :P

Logan's weight at birth was 7lb5oz. At his 2 week appointment was 7lb15oz... Weight at his appointment Friday ((1month)) was STILL 7lb15oz. Weight just before surgery ((he had to fast overnight before surgery... poor little man)): 7lb10oz. Weight Sunday afternoon before we went home: 8lbs even!!! :D

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dragonmamas
by Ari on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:02 PM
Sounds like reflux...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OnTheGeauxMom
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this

YES! My 10 month old is a spitter, puker, go thru 4 burp cloths a day baby!

His Pediatrician called it a "Happy Spitter" but there was nothing happy about it. She did say though that as long as he wasnt losing weight, it was ok. We did put him on Zantac for the first , i guess, 6-7 months. I think it worked really well.

He's moved on to eating baby foods now but is still at a stage 2. Found out he has a "Hyper Gag Reflex" so anything with texture or even if he cries too long and starts to choke on his own salivia, he will gag, and then PROJECTILE VOMIT! Let me tell you, that is not fun to clean or to watch your baby go through :(

Mine did not like the Soy formula either, so we stay away from it. For a while we used the A/R formula, which is thicker but then he suddenly didnt like the taste of it.

For the most part, he has grown out of the major spitting up. Now we just have to not let me gag on anything unless we want a clean-up on Aisle 10.

I think they can do a "swallow test" so you may want to ask about this.

Feel free to ask me any other questions...

Good Luck!!!

cpflum08
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Maybe try to re lactate?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudMommy51006
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Sounds like reflux. My son has reflux so bad Zantac didn't help, prevacid didnt help, finally prilosec helps... It has been a long road, my son is 2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cherrywaves21
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:15 PM
My son is on Zantac and has been since two months old. Also I use rice cereal the added rice starch didnt help little dude at all. it's not good for all that acid to be coming up plus dehydration sets in quickly with that much. You need to tell your doctor you want Zantac otherwise find a doctor that will. I'm not trying I worry you but that spitting up/ puking is by healthy. The acid can damage his esophagus, his ear drums and his vocal cords.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:16 PM

My son would spit up what seemed like everything he ate.  He had dairy issues and I put him on Similac Sensitive and he rarely spit up after that.

Country.Mama.x3
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Thank you!!! Well, we'll see tomorrow if he's gaining well. Glad this may just be a phase and nothing to be majorly concerned about. Probably have to replace my washer/dryer after all this though. Poor things are running almost contantly it seems!! Haha. I'm hoping they'll give us something to at least help. This spitting up is how breastfeeding took such a horrible dive. He'd eat, throw it up not much longer after, and then be hungry again. The stress and lack of sleep, lack of being able to eat right myself... Oh boy. It took my supply from okay to producing no more than droplets at 2weeks postpartum. :( He did start dropping weight before they said to use formula, and it looks like he's picked up. SO, hopefully this is just a really nasty phase that someday I can tell him all about when he's grown up and expecting a baby. Hahaha. :P Thank you for all the detail!! Made me feel much better. :)

wonderwomanT08
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:18 PM
How old?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Country.Mama.x3
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I will definitely ask for that Zantac tomorrow afternoon. Anything to help my little man. Makes me so nervous at night the way he is.

Country.Mama.x3
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:22 PM

1month old. He's been doing this since he was just a few days old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)