Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Havent had an infant in a while....need some BF advice please

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:05 PM
  • 20 Replies

I really want to BF with my newborn she is two days old and I have to supplement her because she is jaundice.  Now she doesn't want to latch on to me.  I think she finds the supplement shield nipple easier and so when I try to nurse her without it she just cries.  Please any advice on how to get her to latch would be great!

by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newbabystarr09
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:11 PM

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325

Try posting in the bfing group.. here on cafemom..

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
JoyfulMommy1221
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this
You don't have to supplement with jaundice. Not normally anyway. I don't know your situation and I'm not a dr. But my advice would be if you want to bf, stop the bottles and just nurse. Your milk will come in and once it does the jaundice will clear up fast. Also, nurse her near a window. The sun will help it as well! Good luck!
GE1
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Not really sure about jaundice but join us in breastfeeding moms group and post this question there and you will get great advice! See you there!

Porcellin_face
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:21 PM
Torpedo your areola on the outside of your boob, kinda like its slanted the way a mouth is. Make sure her lips aren't curled under when she gets on. Let her nurse as long and as often as possible, don't get frustrated and keep trying!
I also suggest the breastfeeding group here on cafemom. The ladies there are awesome. I've been in it since 2007. Both my girls have been exclusively breastfed, my first for a year and my second is 5 months old tomorrow .

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Ok, you do NOT have to supplement because of jaundice.  So stop doing that, because you are only hurting yourself.  Stop giving bottles of any kind because that will hurt you right now too.  If you need to introduce a bottle, do so later, like at 5-6 weeks of age.  Getting her to latch  - squeeze out a little milk, rub some on your nipple and on her lips and then latch her on.  Has she EVER latched?  You should talk to a lactation consultant if you've never gotten her to latch without a shield.  The shield will damage your supply too, so unless it is needed for a medical reason, I would stop using that too.  I would contact an LC.  That would me *MY* personal first step.

Porcellin_face
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:26 PM
Quoting jackiewal10:

Ok, you do NOT have to supplement because of jaundice.  So stop doing that, because you are only hurting yourself.  Stop giving bottles of any kind because that will hurt you right now too.  If you need to introduce a bottle, do so later, like at 5-6 weeks of age.  Getting her to latch  - squeeze out a little milk, rub some on your nipple and on her lips and then latch her on.  Has she EVER latched?  You should talk to a lactation consultant if you've never gotten her to latch without a shield.  The shield will damage your supply too, so unless it is needed for a medical reason, I would stop using that too.  I would contact an LC.  That would me *MY* personal first step.

I disagree about the shield. I used one for a year and my supply was huge. They really help with first time breastfeeders needing to get their nipples to pop out.
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Quoting Porcellin_face:

Quoting jackiewal10:

I disagree about the shield. I used one for a year and my supply was huge. They really help with first time breastfeeders needing to get their nipples to pop out.

You may be the acception to the norm then.  Generally speaking, nipple shield will hurt your supply with continued use.  You may have always had an oversupply that was never corrected because of the use of the shield.  I wasn't aware that first time BFers had issues wtih getting their nipples to pop out.  No one that I know has actually had that issue, but if it is an issue, there are nipple shells that can be worn inside the bra between nursing sessions that are designed for that.

mem82
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I would call your hospital's LC or a local Le Leche League, hon. Online you are going to get too much differing advice. 8) Good luck!

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 5:42 PM

What are babies billirubin levels and what is baby being fed with  (you mention a sheild nipple... not sure what that is)?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I would stop all bottles/shields and work on getting her latched.

If she's hungry and really worked up, you can feed her with a little cup/spoon or syringe.

You don't usually have to supplement with jaundice. It's completely normal for many newborns.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/387292_2884772599754_1273299282_33296172_1842233479_n.jpg

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN