Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

8 mth wont hold bottle

Posted by   + Show Post

is there any way to get my 8 mth old to hold her own bottle....i mean she holds it n puts nipple in mouth but doesnt realize that she has to lift bottle up in order to get the formula.i try n guide her but she quickly lets go of bottle n i end up just holdin it for her instead of sittin there playin around.because then she holds bottle and is spillin it upside down etc...i think at this age she shud b holdin it herself and it sure wud make things a little easier for me...kinda the same situation with her sippy cup.im tryin to introduce that to her and she holds it n puts it in her mouth but doesnt kno how to suck the formula out of the spout i guess...

*ThErE iS nOtHiNg LiKe A mOtHeRs LoVe*
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:04 PM
Replies (11-20):
ladyambition
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Every baby learns to do stuff differently. She may not be ready yet. There was a couple of babies in my ddg that didn't hold their own bottle until they was 10 months I think.

DarksMama
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Mine wouldn't do it at 8 months either. She really just didn't care to until she was more like 15 months before she really got it down. Your LO will come around when they have the interest. I wondered about that too with my DD. She's 18 months now and just started effectively self-feeding 3 weeks ago. They figure it out when they feel like it. Honestly. Don't worry. In the mean time, there are bottle adaptors that are great for that. Look it up on the Babies R Us site.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3393782

Misery_Stitches
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:02 AM
agree too. I never let the teachers at his daycare hold his own bottle. It was a time for one on one bonding.

Quoting comf:

Agreed.

Quoting Randi02:

Holding their own bottle is not a milestone.

Hold your baby while you feed her. Enjoy this time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Taylor.gibson74
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:03 AM
Lmao OMG

Quoting PEEK05:

Your mom is a milestone.

Quoting Randi02:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KITTYCAT1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:06 AM

My 1st was holding her bottle by herself at 6 months and it made me sad, lol. I still held her close when she ate because I didn't want to miss out on that bonding time. My 2nd started holding hers at 7 months and I held her while she ate also. My other kids were BF so they didn't have bottles.

carsonsmommytam
by Tammara on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:18 AM
He never did. He could, after about 8mo, but I didn't let him. I felt feeding was bonding time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:19 AM
Agreed!

Quoting Randi02:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ejbljb
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 7:50 AM
Mine didn't until he was 1 and needed to be taken off the bottle.
JW0618
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:32 AM

My son is 10 months and won't hold his own bottle. I don't know if it's normal or not though....

Heather_leigh
by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:45 AM
As far as transitioning to a sippy cup, you should use a cup with handles and almost nipple like soft spout and work you way up to a regular sippy cup. My son is 8 and a half months old and has no problem holding that because of the handles. He still has a hard time with a regular bottle but can do it if he feels like it lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)