Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Am I the only one who doesn't like the term "breastfeeding"?

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok, follow me here. As late as the early 1900's the terms "light" & "dark" meat were used to describe turkey/chicken pieces b/c the words "breast" & "thigh" were not supposed to be uttered in public. It wasn't PC.
So, although we've refered to it as "feeding" or "nursing", up until the advent of formula, the term "breastfeeding" did not exist & it really rubs me the wrong way.
I feel like it was made to make our already sex-phobic population feel weird about it b/c we're constantly saying the word breast, which up until you become a mother, is considered a sexual term.

I guess I just don't understand the double standard. Why don't we call it "natural" feeding or "human milk" instead of breastmilk? I mean, we say "cow's milk", not "udder milk" or "tit milk", ya know? Why not say "mother's milk" & "nursing' & leave it at that?

by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:23 AM
Replies (151-160):
SimplyErathy
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 12:57 PM
2 moms liked this

would it be better if we called it "titfeeding" or "melonfeeding" or how about "bazongafeeding"? lol its normal to me. and iv done both ff and bf (dd was ff ds was bf). im able to seperate breast as sexual and breast as nurturing. 

Poisongirl98
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:04 PM

It doesn't bother me either, but I know for some people (e.g., older generations) it does.

I also don't think breasts have been "made" sexual, as if it's just something the human race decided to do.  Fact is, most men find breasts attractive and I'm sure that dates way way back, and they are also an erogenous zone on a woman (not for me in particular).  I do agree that they have become more sexualized and most people have lost sight of the fact that the ALSO serve to feed babies, but I don't believe they were created for solely that purpose. 

febmom007
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I say breastfeeding and I say nursing. just depends on the people i'm around. my mom is kind of iffy about it because she didn't BF but she still calls it that.

Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure I've said breastfeeding in public because I was on the phone with my lactation consultant, but I checked to see if people were staring and no one was staring. lol

FindersKeepers
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I disagree.   I think that it is ridiculous to rename body parts or avoid using the correct term because someone MAY be offended by it.     I am not at all squeamish about using the correct term to explain what piece of chicken I want either.    Try going to your doctor and telling them you found lump in your 'white meat'.  

The term "breast feeding' didn't exist before formula because it was assumed that is HOW you were feeding your baby.    When formula came then it made it necessary to clarify.

In American English 'milk" equals cow's milk.   When you are talking about any other kind of milk, it is normal to clarify.... so if someone is using Almond, Soy, Rice, Goat,  Breast or any other kind of milk... they say so to avoid confusion.

SimplyErathy
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:42 PM

my mom put alot of shame into the human body. i hid the fact i started my periode for about 6mo by sneaking her pads. i taped my breast down when they started to develop becasue i felt ashamed. i still have very big body issues. i hated wearing swim suits or going to the doctor or talking about anything. my dd will know the body and that it is beautiful :D shes knows shes a girl and she has a vagina not a private part lol

also if you go to a resturnat and order a glass of milk, but dont say what kind they will bring you regular milk..but what if your allergic? will you get mad they dident bring you soy? lol

Quoting FindersKeepers:

I disagree.   I think that it is ridiculous to rename body parts or avoid using the correct term because someone MAY be offended by it.     I am not at all squeamish about using the correct term to explain what piece of chicken I want either.    Try going to your doctor and telling them you found lump in your 'white meat'.  

The term "breast feeding' didn't exist before formula because it was assumed that is HOW you were feeding your baby.    When formula came then it made it necessary to clarify.

In American English 'milk" equals cow's milk.   When you are talking about any other kind of milk, it is normal to clarify.... so if someone is using Almond, Soy, Rice, Goat,  Breast or any other kind of milk... they say so to avoid confusion.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers
Ix333

i do think the word breast turns some people away from it, i use nursing most often. but out of context (or in a google search) nursing brings up NURSES in hospitals, instead of breastfeeding. we also call it mama milk with our children, but it seems like a "baby term" so we use breastmilk in conversation with adults. Language is an interesting & puzzling thing sometimes. 

Bitterroot
1 mom liked this

What irks me is that a female will suck a man's penissarcasm and not hesitate for a moment, but when someone "breastfeeds" it's deemed gross?

where's the logic there?

conejoazul
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Boobs_McGee:

lol My DH & I call it "boob juice", but we're also quite open-minded/liberl/progressive...we don't find anything shameful about sexuality in the first place, but I think America in general is just so puritan that most of the public cringes at the word "breastfeeding", like it's akin to incest or something.
I wonder what the straight translations for other languages are...?

In Spanish, the casual norm is to say "dar pecho" ( give breast), though a specific verb is also used, "amamantar". And when a woman is in a period of her life that she is breastfeeding regularly, people say she is in a stage of "lactancia". Men and women use the vocabulary comfortably without putting some inappropriate sexual connotation on it.

I think it is good that prudish English speakers should have to hear the word "breast" with regard to feeding babies. That is certainly what the organ was evolved for, unless you count being a trapping ground for cancer cells.  The level of squimishness with regard to natural body functions, and vocabulary which describes them, continues to grow-out-of-proportion with each new modern phase of society. And the more often we suppress correct vocabulary to cater to such squimishness the more ignorant and backward we make our society.

SimplyErathy
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:44 PM

seriously!! or they let their so's suck their breasts but find a baby doing it gross and child abuse O_o

Quoting Bitterroot:

What irks me is that a female will suck a man's penissarcasm and not hesitate for a moment, but when someone "breastfeeds" it's deemed gross?

where's the logic there?

MrS.GiFFord
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2012 at 1:45 PM

As long is it isnt called "titty milk" I don't really care.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)