Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those who have not use cloth diapers before I have a question...

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:21 PM
  • 59 Replies

When someone says they use cloth diapers what  do you picture in your mind?(like what  does the diaper look like) I find more often than not people have a  misconception of modern cloth diapers & am curious to see if  thats the case on here too.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lauracb10
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Before having this baby, I had that conception. I did research while pregnant and discovered this whole new world of cloth that look like disposable and are almost the same thing! LOL except you wash them!

I havent tried them because of the issue with washing and striping, and those things, since I dont have a washing machine or dryer in my home.

amgrays
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I wanted to use cloth diapers and I checked out all the modern ones. However, my husband, who did not want to use cloth kept asking people like his mother their opinion on cloth versus disposable, of course they were all only familiar with the old cloth style.

I registered for cloth diapers, but no one got them for me. My husband was convinced we would need some disposable, especially because a lot of daycares in the area will only except disposable. We ended up buying diapers whenever they were on sale and I had coupons, so we ended up with thousands (literally) of diapers dirt cheap.

That's the only reason I haven't gotten cloth yet. And, they recently discovered that oyster mushrooms will breakdown disposable diapers so I don't feel as bad about it.

kirstina
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I had that misconception before I started using them. When people at church see me changing Monica diaper they are always interested an surprised that I use cloth and hoe cute and easy they are.

When I take Monica to the doctor  they are always questioning me about them because my doctor said he hasnt seen a baby in cloth diaper since his baby brother was in diapers years and years ago and they had a diapering service to wash them.

mommyjenn84
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I totally thought of the prefolds, pins and plastic pants when I thought of them before I used them. That and how ”nasty” the poop was, not realizing youre supposed to flush poop.from disposables any way anf that.you don't have to touch it lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
seraphimsong
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:45 PM
I knew what they looked like. I think they're super cute, but not for me :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:46 PM
That is exactly what I thought! Then I started looking into them and fell in love, lol.

Quoting mommyjenn84:

I totally thought of the prefolds, pins and plastic pants when I thought of them before I used them. That and how ”nasty” the poop was, not realizing youre supposed to flush poop.from disposables any way anf that.you don't have to touch it lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:49 PM
This, as when my mom uses it on my little siblings she still had the rectangle cloths, plastic covers and long pins.

I've researched and seen the modern ones though so I know what they look like and considered using them.

Quoting mommyjenn84:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyjenn84
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Me too!!! I JUST packed away our 27mos cloth and it took me like a month to do so lol. Even.dh got a sad face when he saw they were packed. Well be using cloth in a few mths though.

Quoting YzmaRocks:

That is exactly what I thought! Then I started looking into them and fell in love, lol.

Quoting mommyjenn84:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aimesnyc
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I've seen them online, so I know what the modern ones look like.  We just started with disposables and never re-visited the cloth diaper topic (my hubby and I, that is).  My question is this - how many would you suggest buying (my son is 6 months old)?  And if we do the type with inserts - how many inserts should we have on hand?

crabtreemommy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:07 PM

I see the cute little cloth diapers with designs on them. A couple of my friends do it.... so I think of the modern trendy ones. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)