• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Naps at Daycare

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:24 PM
  • 26 Replies

I know that many of the moms in this group are SAHMs, but for those of you that have experience with A) having your kids in daycare or B) as a daycare provider, do you have any advice for me on how I can work with my provider (home daycare) so that my son will take better naps there?  He is 6 months old, and on the weekends he naps like a champ - 1.5-2 hours in the am, about the same in the afternoon, and then another hour or so around 5.  And he's still ready for bed between 7:30 and 8.  When he's at daycare, however, he will usually take a morning and afternoon nap, each range from 30-45 minutes. 

Any advice/experience with this?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirstina
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:33 PM

There is more noise in daycare likely making it hard to nap.

aimesnyc
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I figured as much, so I was hoping people would have any suggestions...although, I have a feeling that it's going to take a while for him to get over the noise... :-/

Quoting kirstina:

There is more noise in daycare likely making it hard to nap.

CafeMom Tickers
babygomez
by April on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

You can suggest she play soft music or some sort of white noise, and keep the room in dim lighting :)

loviemebabe
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

DS has been in daycare now for about 6 months (had to go back to work), he is almost 9 months old & he just started taking naps on the weekdays at daycare like he does for me at home on the weekends, about 1.5 - 2 hrs in the morning and then same in the afternoon around 2pm.  I attribute this to him now crawling everywhere & it tires him out!  I would give it a few more months and I think you will see a difference in the length of his naps.  It's hard when they don't nap because, atleast in my opinion, ds gets more fussy and frustrated, and then it seems more difficult to put him to sleep b/c he is overtired.  Hang in there, things seem to change overnight with these babies!  Lol

aimesnyc
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Thanks!  It's reassuring to hear that! :)  Fortunately, he doesn't get too fussy, but I think the lack of sleep isn't doing much to help him recover from colds, etc (I'm sure you know how sickness is passed around in daycare...lol). 

Quoting loviemebabe:

DS has been in daycare now for about 6 months (had to go back to work), he is almost 9 months old & he just started taking naps on the weekdays at daycare like he does for me at home on the weekends, about 1.5 - 2 hrs in the morning and then same in the afternoon around 2pm.  I attribute this to him now crawling everywhere & it tires him out!  I would give it a few more months and I think you will see a difference in the length of his naps.  It's hard when they don't nap because, atleast in my opinion, ds gets more fussy and frustrated, and then it seems more difficult to put him to sleep b/c he is overtired.  Hang in there, things seem to change overnight with these babies!  Lol

CafeMom Tickers
rHOPEb
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Poor baby.  I babysit in my home and we have nap time the SAME time every day.  And I let the older kids watch a movie then tv goes OFF for the day and the big kids will either go to sleep or they can play quietly in the kitchen while others sleep in living room.  I get about 1.5-3hr nap time some days.

Does your sitter make all kids lay at the same time?  My MIL does NOT and it drives me crazy.  She will let the kids just play and then fall alseep whereever they are.  :(  Kids need a schedule!  Ask your sitter to put him in a different room maybe and make sure its around the same time each day.  Good luck and God bless...............

aimesnyc
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I know that they have a nap time in the afternoon (when we first visited the daycare, it was during naptime), but I'm not sure how long it lasts.  Also, I think that she only restricts the daycare portion of her home to the two front rooms, which are open and connected.  So not a chance that he can be separated in the am to a quiet area... :(

Quoting rHOPEb:

Poor baby.  I babysit in my home and we have nap time the SAME time every day.  And I let the older kids watch a movie then tv goes OFF for the day and the big kids will either go to sleep or they can play quietly in the kitchen while others sleep in living room.  I get about 1.5-3hr nap time some days.

Does your sitter make all kids lay at the same time?  My MIL does NOT and it drives me crazy.  She will let the kids just play and then fall alseep whereever they are.  :(  Kids need a schedule!  Ask your sitter to put him in a different room maybe and make sure its around the same time each day.  Good luck and God bless...............

CafeMom Tickers
loviemebabe
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Thats great that the lack of sleep doesn't make your baby too fussy. I remember telling dh that our baby will be forever be sick now that he is in daycare because of all of the germs and lack of naps!  I was getting so upset and frustrated with it.  It's hard to imagine now, but I do think they get used to the germs, sickness and noise at daycare. And hopefully, by the time they enter school, they will be immune to most of the illnesses that spread.  I think ds is already becoming immune because he hasn't been sick for a few weeks now (knock on wood), and yes a few weeks without sickness is like a huge milestone with a baby in dc...lol  

aimesnyc
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Soooo...true!  My son is supposed to have surgery next week (he has genetic kidney problems), but now we have to wait until this damn cough he just got goes away!  I hate that my dcp never lets me know when any of the other kids are sick!  And then she tries to make me feel bad when my son doesn't recover overnight...ugh!

Quoting loviemebabe:

Thats great that the lack of sleep doesn't make your baby too fussy. I remember telling dh that our baby will be forever be sick now that he is in daycare because of all of the germs and lack of naps!  I was getting so upset and frustrated with it.  It's hard to imagine now, but I do think they get used to the germs, sickness and noise at daycare. And hopefully, by the time they enter school, they will be immune to most of the illnesses that spread.  I think ds is already becoming immune because he hasn't been sick for a few weeks now (knock on wood), and yes a few weeks without sickness is like a huge milestone with a baby in dc...lol  

CafeMom Tickers
mollysmom328
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:38 PM

No idea what they do but mine naps better at daycare than at home on the weekends.  They can usually just lay her down and she'll sleep any where from an hour to 2.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)