• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do babies have nightmares?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:26 PM
  • 14 Replies

My son turned 7 months Monday. Starting Friday of last week, about the same time every night/morning, he starts crying inconsolably. I believe he's still asleep because his eyes are closed and he doesn't respond to anything I do. Last night when this happened he would roll over into a crawling position (on hands and knees) but his eyes were closed and his head kept drooping down, as if he was still asleep.

I spoke with the Pediatrician about something similar that happened occasionally at his 6 month appointment, and he said it was separation anxiety and just needed to place my hand on him and shush him back to sleep.

But that was when he would just cry for a minute and then go back to sleep. Now he starts crying and it's like he doesn't even know I'm there. It takes sometimes 20 minutes to get him to calm down and then sometimes he'll start crying again 5 minutes later. This happened Friday morning around 12:44am until arond 2, then Saturday morning 12:44 am off and on until about 1:30. Sunday morning once or twice, he was fine Monday and Tuesday, but did it again last night starting around 1am every 20 - 30 minutes until we all finally got up at 6:30am.

I can't think of anything unusual in his diet. He did get bad diaper rash about the same time this started, but that's almost all gone.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KMadsen
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Yes, they do. Babies dream just like we do so of course they have nightmares. If it's that intense though then maybe he is having nightterrors & not just nightmares? My daughter has bad dreams sometimes but usually settles back down after a few minutes if I snuggle her closer to me and "shhh" her. Then she'll nurse a few minutes then fall back asleep.

libby261
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like a night terror to me.  Yeah, babies dream just like we do.  At 7 months, separation anxiety starts and it could be triggering a bad dream.   I don't have any solutions other than pick him up, console him and just be there with him.  Do you take him to bed with you when it happens?  When I have bad dreams and my husband is out of town, I'll go hunt down one of my cats to snuggle.  Even as an adult, having someone to snuggle with after a bad dream helps.

LovelyLauren55
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:39 PM
Sounds like night terrors
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amgrays
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Around six months he would wake up crying and I could cuddly him, maybe nurse him a little and he would go right back out, but just these recent ones nothing comforts him. Even if I try to nurse him he'll suck once and then start crying again.

Quoting KMadsen:

Yes, they do. Babies dream just like we do so of course they have nightmares. If it's that intense though then maybe he is having nightterrors & not just nightmares? My daughter has bad dreams sometimes but usually settles back down after a few minutes if I snuggle her closer to me and "shhh" her. Then she'll nurse a few minutes then fall back asleep.

KMadsen
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Hmm, I would think it's nightterrors then. I don't know what could help with that :( Maybe he's getting ready to learn a new skill? Supposedly that messes with their sleep but I don't know why it would make him inconsolable.

Quoting amgrays:

Around six months he would wake up crying and I could cuddly him, maybe nurse him a little and he would go right back out, but just these recent ones nothing comforts him. Even if I try to nurse him he'll suck once and then start crying again.

Quoting KMadsen:

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Yes, of course they do. They're heartbreaking to watch, aren't they?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amgrays
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:51 PM

A new skill? I know it's just a matter of days until he's fully crawling and he recently started pulling himself up (though clumsily).

Quoting KMadsen:

Hmm, I would think it's nightterrors then. I don't know what could help with that :( Maybe he's getting ready to learn a new skill? Supposedly that messes with their sleep but I don't know why it would make him inconsolable.

Quoting amgrays:

Quoting KMadsen:

KMadsen
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Yeah, maybe it's because he's about to fully crawl. I'm just trying to think of anything that would make him cry so much & not be comforted.

Quoting amgrays:

A new skill? I know it's just a matter of days until he's fully crawling and he recently started pulling himself up (though clumsily).

Quoting KMadsen:

Quoting amgrays:

Quoting KMadsen:

smwilliams
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:35 PM
My son also turned 7 month on Friday , and he also has nightmares. The other night I woke to him screaming , it scared me so bad I thought someone was in the house . There wasn't and he was still asleep when I walked into his room. It made me want to cry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
isell_avon
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

reading your story it made me think of a cute little baby crying ... aww makes me wanna cry too !

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)