Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newbie with a 3 month baby

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:27 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hi there. As the title suggests I am a newbie to Cafemom with a 3 month old baby. My little one started to have a little cough 3 days ago. Now doctor tells me that because he still too young, he does not advise giving him medication for his cough. Every time he coughs, he lets out a little sad-pathetic cry which to me is like telling me how he is uncomfortable. Is there anything else I can do to relieve my son? Suggestions and advise are welcome.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dragonmamas
by Ari on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Welcome and congratulations! I wish I had some advice for you. Does he have allergies? 

ReiReally
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Baby vick's and boil water with eucalyptus oil (out reach but close enough for baby to breathe in) helps for congestion.
There's really nothing else I can think of that would help him feel better pain-relief wise for someone that young. Sorry, it really sucks to see your little one suffer like that and have nothing to help him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nyr818
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Well, I don't think he has any allergies - at least the doctor has not said anything from our last check which was when he was 2 months old. I just want him to feel a little relief since medication is not an option at this time.

Kristin42010
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:47 PM
Humidifier with the Vicks that goes in it. Hope he feels better soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brandy85412
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:00 PM
A www sorry I just went through the with my 3 month old. Do baby rub not vicks On feet with socks over. I was also told that humidifiers only work for drycoughs. Prop baby head up when sleeping. I also used olbas oil. Just watch him for fever and breathing. Hopefully he's over it soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xo.MommyW.xo
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:01 PM
Take him into the bathroom, shut the door and turn on the shower hot. Sit in there with him with the steam going
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aimesnyc
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Humidifier at night, sit in the bathroom while hot water is running, Baby Vicks on his chest and the bottom of his feet (as well as leaving it open in front of the humidifier at night).  Also, ask your doc if it's possible for him to prescribe a nebulizer with either a saline solution or albuterol.  He shouldn't be too young for that.

CafeMom Tickers
la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Welcome!

whatssleep
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Cool mist humidifier. If you breastfeed pump some milk and refrigerate it or formula the cool can soothe the throat, baby vicks, just fyi don't rub regular vicks on a baby I guess it could cause serious complications. 

angela.bouchard
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:02 AM

There really isn't anything you can do for a cough. My son is almost 2 and they still don't do anything for his colds... I don't know about coughs, but for runny nose/congestion you can use a humidifier or steam from the shower to help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)