Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what formula to use...

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:34 PM
  • 13 Replies
I am currently breastfeeding but I don't have enough milk supply to nurse and pump...I need to supplement. What formula would you use for a preemie baby. She is 3 weeks. I used similac neosure in the hospital...should I continue to use that? Please answer the question..advice only...no bashing please.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:38 PM
Can I just ask what makes you think you have low supply? Is baby still in the hospital? Is baby nursing from breast? How many diapers is baby having in 24hrs?
Just trying to get more info do I can give better advice :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mestiza_07
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:48 PM
No we're home now. She only eats off one breast and completely refuses the other...I keep offering but she won't take it so I pump and only get 1 oz at a time from that breast. I feed her with the breast she takes but she seems hungry and not satisfied esp at night. She has 4-5 soaked diapers and 2-3 stools.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Can I just ask what makes you think you have low supply? Is baby still in the hospital? Is baby nursing from breast? How many diapers is baby having in 24hrs?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Good news!! You don't have to supplement :)

With her diaper count (at this age you are looking for 6-8 wet or poopy diapers), she is getting plenty of milk.

Your pump output is also normal.

Your baby is very normal. She is probably going through a growth spurt and nursing frequently and fussing is her way of telling your body to make more. Newbies are attached a lot! It slows down after 6/8 weeks, until the next growth spurt :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Oh, and for ideas on how to get her to take the other breast, head on over to the Breastfeeding Moms group. They can help you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:56 PM
Some babies will only ever nurse from one breast during a feeding. My dd only did one breast up until she was around 3 months old. Normal pump output is .5-2oz for both breast combined. A lot of moms can't pump a drop but are able to successfully breastfeed twins! Diapers are perfect.
Si now I'm extremely confused as to why any sort of supplementing is being used :)

Quoting mestiza_07:

No we're home now. She only eats off one breast and completely refuses the other...I keep offering but she won't take it so I pump and only get 1 oz at a time from that breast. I feed her with the breast she takes but she seems hungry and not satisfied esp at night. She has 4-5 soaked diapers and 2-3 stools.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mestiza_07
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Awesome...thank you for the advice!

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Some babies will only ever nurse from one breast during a feeding. My dd only did one breast up until she was around 3 months old. Normal pump output is .5-2oz for both breast combined. A lot of moms can't pump a drop but are able to successfully breastfeed twins! Diapers are perfect.

Si now I'm extremely confused as to why any sort of supplementing is being used :)

Quoting mestiza_07:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:00 PM
3 moms liked this
Oh and you MUST remove the word "satisfied" from your vocab! A fussy baby tells your body to make that milk! Diapers are the only factor in determining supply!
And by the way, 3 weeks is a major growth spurt! Be prepared for another around 6 weeks too. The first 6-8 weeks is tough, but it gets better. No more supplementing, it's really not needed!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mestiza_07
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:02 PM
Thank you! Didn't want to supplement...just thought she wasn't getting enough. To the bf group for more advice ;)

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Good news!! You don't have to supplement :)

With her diaper count (at this age you are looking for 6-8 wet or poopy diapers), she is getting plenty of milk.

Your pump output is also normal.

Your baby is very normal. She is probably going through a growth spurt and nursing frequently and fussing is her way of telling your body to make more. Newbies are attached a lot! It slows down after 6/8 weeks, until the next growth spurt :D

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the previous posters....sounds like she's doing great on just breastmilk, I wouldn't supplement at all!  Keep up the good work!   :)

kaitlynherring
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Everything is fine momma, you're doing a great job. Cut out formula and you'll be good. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)