Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP! my 7 month old has the stomach virus :(

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:27 PM
  • 16 Replies
hes very hungry but has power vomited twice now n cant keep any thing down :( any ideas?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Just keep nursing him. Breastmilk is VERY easily digested, so even if he vomits really soon after, he's still getting some. It's actually better than Pedialyte for sick babies.
Hope he feels better soon, not much you can do for tummy bugs other than keep them hydrated :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crabtreemommy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Just keep him hydrated. Keep giving him formula/breast milk. Dehydration is a serious issue! Call the ped. in the morning and have them to give you some advice on baby with tummy bug. If it cant wait, you could always try calling the ER to see if a nurse can give you advice. The ER around here seems to be pretty friendly on giving advice on things to try before bringing someone in. My childs ped. always told me if its after hrs and I didnt feel like a ER visit was needed... that the nurses at the ER are friendly and give advice on what to try. 

Candace8609
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:49 PM
thanks. might try that. just called walgreens pharmacy and asked what i could try and the guy told me he doesnt have experience w infints. but ive got help from walmart pharmists and walgreens before. didnt even really sound like he knew ANY THING and i heard laughter in the back ground :( hope they wasnt laughing at me or my situation, cause i dont think a sick baby is very funny :'(

Quoting crabtreemommy:

Just keep him hydrated. Keep giving him formula/breast milk. Dehydration is a serious issue! Call the ped. in the morning and have them to give you some advice on baby with tummy bug. If it cant wait, you could always try calling the ER to see if a nurse can give you advice. The ER around here seems to be pretty friendly on giving advice on things to try before bringing someone in. My childs ped. always told me if its after hrs and I didnt feel like a ER visit was needed... that the nurses at the ER are friendly and give advice on what to try. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crabtreemommy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I had to call once about my husband... we both had food poisioning (and luckly my son who was 11 months didnt since he didnt eat what we did that night) and she told me of things to try before coming in. She was really nice and gave me a list of things to do to prevent dehydration and things to use that is good to prevent dehydration. She even gave me signs to watch for and told me if these signs appear, I needed to get medical attention for my husband. We ended up having to go in... and she remembered us and was sweet. She even found our son a stuffed fish and gave him popsicles from time to time when she brought my husband some to go with his IV. 

Quoting Candace8609:

thanks. might try that. just called walgreens pharmacy and asked what i could try and the guy told me he doesnt have experience w infints. but ive got help from walmart pharmists and walgreens before. didnt even really sound like he knew ANY THING and i heard laughter in the back ground :( hope they wasnt laughing at me or my situation, cause i dont think a sick baby is very funny :'(

Quoting crabtreemommy:

joci2203
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:02 AM

:(  poor thing.

angela.bouchard
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:30 AM

You can always call an advice nurse too.. I've never thought to call the pharmacy lol

The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Keep pushing fluids on him, whether it be BM, water, Pedialyte or formula. And keep a close eye on his wet diapers for concentrated urine/low volume. Other signs of dehydration is no tears when crying, weak and shaky, lethargic, and if you gently pinch his skin...the skin stays in a pinched position. It takes very little time for a baby/toddler to get dehydrated. My daughter got a little dehydrated (22 months old) after only about 6 hours because I didn't push fluids on her like I should have.

indy.mama
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:40 AM

When I took my son to the hospital for that (the first time, it's happened twice, the second time cause his father is a fucking moron sometimes), they told me NO formula, they made me give him an ounce of pedialyte (well all they had was gatorade but alot of pediatricians don't recommend it, it however worked) every twenty or thirty minutes. After a few hours of no vomitting, let him have a few ounces at a time. I suggest you actually call his pediatrician for advice, If he doesn't have one, go to the ER. The second time my son had the bug, he had to get an IV from getting dehydrated within a few hours. It was the most awful, heart wrenching thing and I cried like a little bitch.

Candace8609
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:43 AM
it scares me bc he hasnt been able to keep any thing down and hes not even fussy! after he threw up his bottle, he fussed for about 5 minutes, bc i assume he was hungry, and then went to sleep. hes been sleeping now for about 3 hrs and last time he puked was about an hr and a half ago. ive been checking him every time he moves. proped his matress up w receiving blankets, so he dont asperate his puke. im so tired but dont want to go to sleep bc im scared he might choke and im scared bc hes so sleepy. the last time he puked, he just wanted to go back to sleep!

Quoting The_Doodle:

Keep pushing fluids on him, whether it be BM, water, Pedialyte or formula. And keep a close eye on his wet diapers for concentrated urine/low volume. Other signs of dehydration is no tears when crying, weak and shaky, lethargic, and if you gently pinch his skin...the skin stays in a pinched position. It takes very little time for a baby/toddler to get dehydrated. My daughter got a little dehydrated (22 months old) after only about 6 hours because I didn't push fluids on her like I should have.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Candace8609
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:45 AM
oh no :'( im trying to stay up incase he pukes again.

Quoting indy.mama:

When I took my son to the hospital for that (the first time, it's happened twice, the second time cause his father is a fucking moron sometimes), they told me NO formula, they made me give him an ounce of pedialyte (well all they had was gatorade but alot of pediatricians don't recommend it, it however worked) every twenty or thirty minutes. After a few hours of no vomitting, let him have a few ounces at a time. I suggest you actually call his pediatrician for advice, If he doesn't have one, go to the ER. The second time my son had the bug, he had to get an IV from getting dehydrated within a few hours. It was the most awful, heart wrenching thing and I cried like a little bitch.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)