Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Intro to cereal

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:55 PM
  • 10 Replies

In one week my boy will be 5 months. He weighs 19.7lbs and is 28 inches long. He wakes during the evening every two or so hours to breastfeed. I was going to weight till 6 months but I decided to try cereal now. Today was his second day. I bought the Gerber Oatmeal kind, cause standing in the store I thought oatmeal would be more nutritious than rice. I felt really good about it, He seems to really like it. Then I saw a post on the internet that says oatmeal is likley to cause a food allergy, now I'm worried. Did I make a mistake are you supposed to start with rice? What did you start your baby with? 

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShellGardner
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:56 PM
My baby had oatmeal mixed with bananas he's 6 months now but I think he was 4 months when we started
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrimsonGrace
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:58 PM
Oatmeal is fine. Rice is easier to digest and less likely to cause constipation, but you haven't sentenced him to a life of doom ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:05 AM
I wouldn't bother with any of it. The fake iron and "nutrients" hinder your baby's body from absorbing what it really needs from your milk. You're going to get a lot of replies on here about how they gave it to their kids and they're "just fine"... giving cereal of any kind is outdated advice. If you're really insistant on starting solids early, mashed up avocado is an excellent first food, as well as sweet potatoes and bananas :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GracelynJoysMom
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:07 AM
I started my daughter on rice cereal in her bottles at 4 months because that is what her doctor recommended. But we haven't tried any other kind. The rice is easier on her belly. She had colic and alot of belly aches and gas but she is better now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethbeth
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:10 AM

There is no reason to give rice. It tastes like cardboard and has no nutritional value. The oatmeal may be a tiny bit better than rice, but also tastes like carboard and has little nutrition. I would skip baby cereal. Try something yummy and healthy like sweet potatoes or avacados :)

babygomez
by April on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I introduce rice cereal at 4 months, and my son is doing great with it. :)

Misery_Stitches
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:14 AM

We didnt start with any cereal - we went straight to real food. Both my kids started with banana and avacado and moved on from there

angela.bouchard
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:00 AM

I didn't do any cereal and I've never heard anything about oatmeal being an allergen.

larissalarie
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:02 AM
Any grain/foods before the gut is closed after 6 months can lead to allergy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Taylor.gibson74
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:03 AM
Oh lord here we go lol :)and I started with rice when all 3 of my kids were 4 months then moved uo to oatmeal.I think you should be fine as long as he likes it!!and dnt let neone tell u. Its bad or a waste cuz its not helped all my kids sleep through the night!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)