Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Breastfeeding Help-Not Producing Enough Milk

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:39 AM
  • 30 Replies
I'm not producing enough milk. Every time I breastfeed, my baby screams right after as if he hadn't eaten at all. I'm a first time mom and I just don't know what to do. I've been supplementing with formula, but I still want to give him breast milk. My baby is 2 weeks old. Is there a chance I would ever produce anymore milk than I am now? Any suggestions other than breast and bottle feeding back-to-back? I want to do what's best for my baby, but I don't know what would be the best.
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baquick
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:41 AM
Keep up with the BFing. Try massaging your breasts to keep the ducts unclogged and see if that helps. Keep him on the breast until he is done. Could take 5 minutes or 2 hours.

If you feel the need, try fenugreek. It's found at health supplement stores. It makes you smell like maple syrup but helps your supply.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ejbljb
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Try the Breastfeeding Moms group. They are very knowledgeable. There are a lot of things you can do to increase your supply, but I'll let them help you. They have a lot more experience than I do. 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325

mama91605
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:59 AM
This.

Quoting ejbljb:

Try the Breastfeeding Moms group. They are very knowledgeable. There are a lot of things you can do to increase your supply, but I'll let them help you. They have a lot more experience than I do. 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:15 PM
How many diapers are you changing? How is weight history so far- birth, lowest, and every weight you have had since. Were thos all on the same scale, clean diaper, etc? How often is baby nursing? How often and how much have you been supplementing?

First impressions: you are fine. Baby is likely growing and cluster feeding, trying to signal your body to produce more. By supplementing, you could be creating a supply issue. My advice based on first impressions is to stop supplements, count diapers (you want about six to eight in 24 hours, wet is 4 tablespoons water, anything more wet is two, a dirty & wet counts as two) and nurse on demand. That means if baby just nursed twenty minutes ago and acts hungry, nurse again. Babies have small tummies and need to nurse frequently. The questions I asked are what you will be asked in the breastfeeding group, it will help determine if there is a real supply issue or a perceived supply issue :)
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:23 PM

How many wet diapers every 24 hours?

How often is he nursing? Are you letting him completely empty the breast? How long has he been doing this?

There is a 2 week growth spurt.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/387292_2884772599754_1273299282_33296172_1842233479_n.jpg

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Honestly supplementing is the worst thing for your supply. How baby acts is truly not an indication of supply. Diapers are the only way to know. At least 6 a day (soaking wet, or wet & poop count as 2) and baby is getting enough regardless of behavior. The first 6 weeks are rough for many because it's all about supply building (plus you've got a newborn getting used to life outside the womb so that can be challenging anyway) Supplementing with formula now can really undermine your breastfeeding relationship and set you up to not make it very long.
Go back to EBF. It might be frustrating, but when baby cries after nursing, nurse again! THAT is how you get your supply up :-) Baby demands it so your breasts get the memo to make it. If you nurse and give formula, your body won't ever know to make more for baby. If you get back to ebf and after a few days baby isn't having enough diapers, then we can talk about how to get supply up and how to do supplements in a way that won't threaten your breastfeeding. But it's pretty unlikely that you've actually got a supply problem, just a little off on what to expect! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heather4511
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:36 PM
It is more important to keep track of diapers. If there are enough pee diapers, he's getting enough
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lfrrll5
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Listen to the advice given. Drop the formula. Get it out of your house. It will only make things worse. Can you pump. Let baby nurse as long as he needs to. For the first several weeks it can seem like all your doing is nursing but it will get better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kermitthemom23
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:47 PM

My milk didn't even come in until about day 10!!!

Keep it up.  Usually things will work themselves out by week 6 or so.  I was never an effective dairy farm but did eventually manage to make enough to feed the baby.  Never any extra though

_muffin_
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Lots of great advice here! Like the others said you are probly producing plenty. Stop supplimenting and keep him on the breast. Count wet diapers- If something is going out, you have plenty going in. Drink plenty of water.

Oh and be sure to thuroughly burp the baby after he comes of the breast. My daughter will unlatch if she has to burp and will not relatch if she has a bit of gas. After burping try feeding again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)