Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

I think I have postpartum depression

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 3:59 PM
  • 13 Replies

I've thought this for awhile but I thought maybe it was someting else and would go away. My son is 8 months old. If he gets upset and I've tried to calm him down for a little while and nothing seems to be working I get angry and yell at him. Somtimes I'm  not all that gentle when handling him when I get angry. I HAVE NEVER HURT HIM. But sometimes the thought is there. I don't always want to be around him. Sometimes I feel like I have to make myself want to play with him and bond with him. Let me be clear, I love my son with all of my heart and most days we have lots of fun playing together. It took me almost 6 months to get the motivation to clean my house every day. I know I get moody. I'm a SAHM with no car so I know that doesn't help things but I don't think it's just being around him all the time. It's been going on since he was very little. I think I kept trying to come up with excuses for what it could be because I was ashamed to admit it. I really don't want to be on a medication that makes me have to stop breastfeeding.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BiPolarMomto3
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:01 PM
You need to talk with your Dr. It sounds like ppd to me. I suffered the se thing with my older 3. If you need to talk I am here
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittanyx22
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this
The best thing for you to do is talk to your doctor, momma. Also, they can most likely perscribe you something that is safe for BFing. Good luck!
adriansmom11
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel like such a bad mother for letting this go on. Are there any meds I can take and still safely breastfeed?

adriansmom11
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:07 PM

also I think my insurance at the moment only covers women's health issues like birth control and the like. Do you think it would cover this?

BiPolarMomto3
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes but you have to talk to your Dr and clear it with your Ped as well

Quoting adriansmom11:

I feel like such a bad mother for letting this go on. Are there any meds I can take and still safely breastfeed?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
edelweiss23
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:09 PM
You are not a bad momma! You need to be healthy to take care of your child!! Talk to your Dr. If you want. Friend me. I have been through it too!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cricketdawn81
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 4:09 PM

PM me, I'm there and have been with all 6 of my kids. 

muisjes
by Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Sounds like you need to get out of the house! Gowalking, meet other momma's.
lauratupper
by on Apr. 28, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Talk to your doctor, and maybe try to get out of the house too, take walks with baby and such. Most of the meds for depression are safe while breastfeeding. kellymom.com has a good list that you can look at. ((hugs))

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Talk to your doctor and try getting out of the house. Do you have a park nearby? Stores you can stroll to? I'm a SAHM with no car, it helps my mood so much to go for a walk with dd in the stroller each day. We go to the park to see other babies and mommies or go to the store and get a special treat for the day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)