Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

What age for a cell phone?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:49 AM
  • 36 Replies

What age do you think you will get your kid(s) a cell phone? And why?

on phone

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoyfulMommy1221
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Dh and I were just talking about this. High school minimum. We'll pay and put them on a plan once they drive. If they want a phone before that, they'll have to pay for it and minutes. Imo, it is a tool to be used for teaching responsibility.
HunternChase
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Hunter is 12 1/2.. He got his cell phone as a birthday present from his grandparent.. He has to stand long a major road and wait for the bus... I can't see him standing at the bus stop... He really doesn't use it..
CafeMom Tickers
Lizj4
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:56 AM
When they start driving but even then it's going to be a go phone. It will be an emergency only phone. Once they leave for college then we will give them a real cell phone. I don't see the need for a teenager to have their own cell phone. They can talk to their friends at church and school. If Rey want to talk after that they can call the house where hubby and I can monitor their conversations.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyRJ
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:57 AM
Not until high school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heather4511
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this
My kid will have a cell phone when they are old enough to pay for it. I was never just handed one..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama-smurf
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:03 AM
I don't want my kids have cell phone, to me its not needed. So when they're old enough to pay for it then they can have one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessed_mommy11
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:04 AM
When they have a job and can pay for it, I will never just Hand my kids anything they want. They need to learn responsibility and work hard to earn what they want/ needs are different I will defiantly provide that, big difference between want and needs!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kenzismommy09
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:08 AM
I would say around 13-14 right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dragonmamas
by Ari on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:09 AM

When they're out and about without me, ie the mall, bike riding, etc. Around twelve or thirteen.

xomrs.chase
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:10 AM
As soon as he has afterschool activities like sports practice etc (I will be at ALL the games). If there was an emergency I would always want him to have access to a phone. We'd do a pay as you go until he got a job as a teen, then he could have a plan and help pay his share
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)