Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

If you have more than one child..

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:36 AM
  • 38 Replies

What did you do about the older child's toys when baby proofing?

Dd should be crawling soon and I'm working on baby proofing. Ds has some toys that aren't baby friendly. I'm thinking about just packing them away. I suppose I could just put them in his bedroom, but I'd be worried that he'd move them downstairs again. 

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
flowermama2011
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:41 AM
I have explained to my older kids that if they don't keep those kinds of toys in their rooms then i'm throwing them away, I know its harsh but if rather be harsh then have my LO choke on it,
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:42 AM
4 moms liked this
I didn't do anything, I just watch the baby!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rmfanfgljf
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Yup, not that hard to do. By the time baby is crawling and putting fingers to mouth you should be teaching the baby what is ok and what is not ok to put in their mouths, if you have to leave the baby place the baby in a safe area clear of toys that aren't safe.

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ejbljb
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I did that with my first too, but with both kids at home, I don't know that I can keep my eyes on her every second. Dd puts everything in her mouth, totally unlike my first. 

Quoting larissalarie:

Dragonmamas
by Ari on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Bump! I was just thinking about this! I have a seven year old and a four and a half year old who have tons of little toys - legos, etc. and my eight month old looks like he's close to crawling.

JoLee12345
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:07 AM
What? Keep your older childs door closed!
ejbljb
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:09 AM

They're in the playroom. 

Quoting JoLee12345:

What? Keep your older childs door closed!

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Oh my baby is all about putting everything straight into his mouth (he's my third)
The older ones can actually be pretty useful in sounding the "alarm" if baby puts something in his mouth that he shouldn't!

Quoting ejbljb:

I did that with my first too, but with both kids at home, I don't know that I can keep my eyes on her every second. Dd puts everything in her mouth, totally unlike my first. 

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ejbljb
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:12 AM

That's true. Ds has told me a few times that the baby can't have certain things because she will choke. I'll just see how it goes and put away certain things if they become an issue. 

Quoting larissalarie:

Oh my baby is all about putting everything straight into his mouth (he's my third)
The older ones can actually be pretty useful in sounding the "alarm" if baby puts something in his mouth that he shouldn't!

Quoting ejbljb:

Quoting larissalarie:

HMLmom2
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:15 AM
I try to avoid very small toys anyway because i hate stepping on them and/or picking them up.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)