Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Home schooling? Your thoughts?

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm thinking about home schooling my son. I haven't done deep research yet, but I would like to know what other moms think about it. I want to weigh the pros and cons before I really invest a lot of time into it. My son is only 14 months, so there's no rush but dh and I don't want him to go to public school. So choices are private school, private teacher, or home schooling. We plan to travel a lot and a personal teacher would be less complicated then planning around a private school schedule. I have some personal opinions about it, like I feel he would get a chance to learn more and be able to travel more by being home schooled. I feel he'd be able to learn more subjects and extra curricular activities (such as art from me, music from his dad and best friend, and more). Its something I am seriously considering and want some outside perspective. Thanks ladies! :-) <3
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:03 PM
Replies (61-67):
Angeldolphine
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Never said that...So long as the children are around other kids regularly ant not just other homeschooled kids. I just think it's something to be aware of, especially those who don't believe the socialization arguments. My parents were one of those who laughed about the socialization concerns.It's REALLY hard to get through school and jobs when you are so sheltered, behind on social skills and when you are so weird and different. 

Quoting mamabens:

So yo think that can only be accomplished in PS?? Because my kids are around  different people& have experienced all of those things without having to be in PS.

Quoting Angeldolphine:

I'm from the other side. It's not the socializing as in talking to each other. It's the learning to deal with people different from them, bullies, difficult people, social norms, learning the political system that is in ever single job, that sort of thing. It's also learning to talk to other people, but that is the main concern for socializing. I was homeschooled and have struggled with social skills most of my twenties. Its affected every aspect of my life.

Quoting mamabens:

I do it & love it!! We've been doing it for a year & a half &  the girls do so much better than when they were in ps. My son is 3 & will start doing preschool here at home in the fall. Join the homeschooling moms group on here & you can have all your questions answered.  I have no downsides to it other than how others react. They think we sit & do nothing all day, they think they will die without being 'socialized'. Sorry but I got in trouble for socializing in ps & so did my girls. We have activites  weekly for them  & they are often around other people of all ages which I personally think is way more important than just being around kids their own age.  The online ps is an option but after looking into it not only was it not available  in my state but it was way too restrictive. I like being able to  take a field trip if I want, or  take an hour break & go to the park when attention  gets iffy.

aimesnyc
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I totally agree.  And that's one of the reasons why my son is going to a public school.  I mean, of course no one wishes for their child to be bullied...but I want him to learn how to overcome difficult people and situations.  It doesn't even have to be a fellow student.  My sister had more trouble with some of her teachers than she had with her classmantes.  And now she's a teacher herself! lol

Quoting Angeldolphine:

There are bullies everywhere in life. I want my child learned how to handle difficult people. It's a very important life skill.

Quoting aimesnyc:

I can understand that.  I, of course, wouldn't want my son to be a victim of a bully, etc.  But the way I see it, they are going to have to deal with drama, etc when they get older.  So if my son can learn how to deal with that stuff when he's younger, then I think that will (hopefully) help him when he's older and out in the Real World.  But like I said, I wouldn't wish any bad stuff on him at all.  But should it happen, I will guide and support him so that he can learn how to navigate difficult situations.

Quoting Ruthzaad:

I thought about that too but its not just the poor quality of education I worry about when it comes to PS. I worry about all the drama I see in the news and hear from other parents. I don't want ds exposed to that.

Quoting aimesnyc:

If parents choose to homeschool, that's completely fine.  I believe that you should do what you feel is best for your child (within certain limits, of course.  i.e. abuse).  However, I do have to pose this:  if one really feels that the education system is flawed, why not try to do something to change it?  If we continue to keep kids out of schools because we don't feel they are good enough, then they will only become worse as funding is cut, etc.  I feel the same way about giving kids vouchers to private schools because the public schools are not cutting it.  Why not try to improve those schools instead?

Some mothers are kissing mothers and some are scolding mothers, but it is love just the same, and most mothers kiss and scold together.  ~Pearl S. Buck

When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts.  A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child.  ~Sophia Loren, Women and Beauty

One should examine oneself for a very long time before thinking of condemning others.  ~Moliere

mamabens
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry but this is so wrong on so many levels. Homeschooling does NOT mean they are not around other kids! Maybe it was for you but that is on you not the fact that he was homeschooled. My kids are playing & interacting with other kids their age (& all ages) every single day.  They do NOT lack in social skills & they  get PLENTY of interacting with other kids. Like I said if this was the case for you when you HS'ed your son then it was the  environment you put him in NOT that he was homeschooled!

Quoting DixieL:

I did that with my son for about a year and a half. He was home to much. Not for me, but he had no friends becuse when you home school they can't be around their peers and play. My son was really lonesome and sad being at home day in and out. Their social skills lack. He might learn subjects better but he needs interaction with kids too. Out of your three choices I would do private school, but he can get to know other kids.

mom2ljh
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:00 PM
We considered home schooling but after visiting and touring some private schools, we realized we couldn't offer the same quality education as these schools. We chose a private college prep school. He begins kindergarten next year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I agree . Also bullies are EVERYWHERE not just in PS. So I don't understand the logic that  you have to put your kids in PS in order to  deal with difficult people. That can be done by just being around other people.

Quoting YzmaRocks:

I managed to learn just fine. I think homeschooling actually helped me more because I was able to interact with people of all ages, not just my peer group. And I don't think a 6 or 7 year old needs to learn about how to handle bullies. Plenty of time for that later in life. Just my opinion.

Quoting Angeldolphine:

I'm from the other side. It's not the socializing as in talking to each other. It's the learning to deal with people different from them, bullies, difficult people, social norms, learning the political system that is in ever single job, that sort of thing. It's also learning to talk to other people, but that is the main concern for socializing. I was homeschooled and have struggled with social skills most of my twenties. Its affected every aspect of my life.

Quoting mamabens:

I do it & love it!! We've been doing it for a year & a half &  the girls do so much better than when they were in ps. My son is 3 & will start doing preschool here at home in the fall. Join the homeschooling moms group on here & you can have all your questions answered.  I have no downsides to it other than how others react. They think we sit & do nothing all day, they think they will die without being 'socialized'. Sorry but I got in trouble for socializing in ps & so did my girls. We have activites  weekly for them  & they are often around other people of all ages which I personally think is way more important than just being around kids their own age.  The online ps is an option but after looking into it not only was it not available  in my state but it was way too restrictive. I like being able to  take a field trip if I want, or  take an hour break & go to the park when attention  gets iffy.

aimesnyc
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I apologize for getting into the conversation, but this woman was merely talking about her own personal experience being homeschooled.  No, not everyone's experience is the same.  But she is just trying to give a little information from that point of view so that parents that homeschool don't repeat what her parents did.  Let's give her a little respect for that.  Sounds like she had a rough time socially, due to her own situation. 

And just to add to my own opinion about the bully situation, I am not saying that I want my child to be in a public school strictly because of that.  No one wants their child to be bullied, no matter where the bullying happens.  I have many reasons for why I want my son to go to a public school, just like you have many reasons why you want your child(ren) to be homeschooled.  And I respect that.  Either way, the child is getting an education.

Quoting mamabens:

I agree . Also bullies are EVERYWHERE not just in PS. So I don't understand the logic that  you have to put your kids in PS in order to  deal with difficult people. That can be done by just being around other people.

Quoting YzmaRocks:

I managed to learn just fine. I think homeschooling actually helped me more because I was able to interact with people of all ages, not just my peer group. And I don't think a 6 or 7 year old needs to learn about how to handle bullies. Plenty of time for that later in life. Just my opinion.

Quoting Angeldolphine:

Quoting mamabens:

Some mothers are kissing mothers and some are scolding mothers, but it is love just the same, and most mothers kiss and scold together.  ~Pearl S. Buck

When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts.  A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child.  ~Sophia Loren, Women and Beauty

One should examine oneself for a very long time before thinking of condemning others.  ~Moliere

jjchick75
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

We homeschool and love it! I taught in public school for 10 years and quit when I had my 3 year old. I had considered going back but the school I taught at and loved was forced to close it's doors because of money issues. The education system in this country is in bad bad shape! Alot of people worked very hard to keep our school open but if there isn't enough money to pay the bills, there isn't alot you can do. About that same time my daughter was having issues with bullies at school. At first it was just verbal but then they begin sending my daughter home with bruises and bloody noses. I was up at the school everyday and nothing was ever done. Finally one day after lunch, while they were standing outside waiting for the bell to ring so they could go to their next class one of the boys who had been bothering her stuck his down her pants with a teach just a few feet away. She took the kid to office but no one every checked on my daughter to make sure she was ok or called  me. I was beyond angry. We filed charges and I pulled her out of that school that afternoon. She went to a private school to finish out the school year but it didn't really fit with our family. So we decided to homeschool!

The decision to homeschool was the best decision we ever made and my only regret is that we didn't do it sooner! We are involved in a homeschool group. We have a program that I really loved and so does my daughter where we exchange lessons basically. Like for instance she wanted to learn to German. So one of the mothers in our school group is teaching her German and I am helping her son with his math. She wanted to take some art classes so one of the mothers who does an art class is giving her free art lessons and I am helping her daughter with her chemistry. As far as socialization she plays softball(and has since she was 7 and she is now 15), she takes piano and voice lessons, during the fall she is part of theatre group, and we are on the go all the time. My kids come in contact with many different people of many different ages from many different backgrounds. They have great social skills and love to play with other kids! I think the whole socialization argument is crazy. Sure there maybe some parents who keep their kid locked in the house all day but the vast majority of us are rarely home and our kids are better socialized than public school kids. I don't understand how being in a room with the same 25-30 kids that are same age as you from the same background for 8 hour a day is all that great for socialization. As a teacher I found many public school kids had little to no social skills.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)