Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler Formula or Cow's Milk?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son Clayton is now 9 months old and the doctors say that i should shift him from his infant formula to cows milk once he is a year old. I'm not sure if i'm comfortable giving him cow's milk, recently i've started thinking that its pretty unnatural to drink cow's milk (I never drank it that much) and two people in my family are lactose intolerant, not to mention the multiple studies that have show its not actually good for you. I also just did some reasearch on Enfamil's Enfagrow Premium Toddler formula (because Clayton is currently on their Infant Premium) and discovered that it contains Corn Syrup Solids, so I'm totally not going to give him that, but I looked into a few other brands and I know that the Gerber Toddler formula does NOT contain corn syrup solids. 

So should I transition him to the Gerber Toddler formula or give him cow's milk, despite my misgivings? This choice is very difficult for me to make as I know my son's father and my mother are going to push for me to give him cow's milk.

by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:57 AM
Replies (21-30):
Mrs.mommywhite3
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Toddler formula constipated my daughter badly. We don't like cows milk either. We gave her normal formula tell age 2, then we switched her to Almond milk as well as goats milk (its closer to breast milk then cows milk). My daughter was breastfeed tell age one, but I have bad health issues and time when I would be on certain meds or during surgery shed get formula and we kept her on formula even after she self weaned at age 13 months.

Amberj88
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:37 PM
I don't understand why they make toddler formula, it basically has the same nutrients as milk. It's more expensive than milk though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NCMOMMIE18
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Neither does Simulac

Blue_Spiral
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Get the breastfeeding mom of a toddler to pump for you! lol just kidding. Kind of.

It's hard to pump when your kid is that old, at least it is for me and others I've talked to.

I'm sure I'm pretty rare in this group but I would let my kid drink from a friend's breast if I found one willing.

I mean, if I was in your situation, since neither is healthy and I'm not sure if coconut or rice or almond milk quite fulfills the purpose.

You know, I just realized what I'd do. I'd find a way to supplement what he needs for brain development, like cod liver oil and stuff. Coconut oil maybe, etc..

I'd research it.

Blue_Spiral
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Oh, and btw, my son drinks whole goat milk pretty much every day, in addition to nursing.

It's kind of a treat for him, but I mostly use it on the days when he isn't interested in other forms of protein because it has pretty high protein.

Btw my son is 17 months...

Tangie1118
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:53 PM
This :-)

Quoting larissalarie:

Well formula is still cow milk and formula actually has more lactose than regular cow milk since human breastmilk has more lactose and they are trying to mimic that. Adults make less of the enzyme to digest lactose since historically humans didn't consume much milk past the natural age of weaning, THAT is, why you see so many lactose intolerant adults, true lactose intolerant infants are more than incredibly rare and require a special prescription formula. People, including doctors, commonly call infants "lactose intolerant" when the issue is actually an allergy/intolerance to the cow milk protein.
Lol, sorry for being side tracked! Toddler formula or regular cow breastmilk, it's still consuming cow milk. Toddler formula is just processed and gets added vitamins & nutrients to mimic human breastmilk, just like infant formula.
If you really want your kiddo off cow breastmilk, you need to look into alternate milks like almond, coconut, help, or even goat (soy is not good, regular cow milk is better than that)
Good luck, and don't try switching anything until AFTER his birthday!

Momof2almost
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:32 AM

We use whole milk.  Used it with my oldest and currently using it with my 1 and a half year old.  they both love it!

hollydaze1974
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:48 AM
I did cow's milk with no misgivings....although I haven't read nor would I believe the research you refer to and I find it totally natural as after breastfeeding, mothers for centuries switch to cow's or goat's milk. BUT that's me and the choice I made.
Your choices are yours. I've seen many moms talk about almond milk as an option.
jbyrd898
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:20 AM

I always gave/give my son a mixture. I do coconut, almond and some organic cows milk. I personally think variety is good.

nickigoingon8
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I have always given mine whole milk once they turned one. I have not had any issues with the kids because of milk yet and there are 6 of them that live in my house. It is ultimately your decision. I don't think that it is wrong either way it's what you think is best for your baby

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)