Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

ECZEMA/Cradle Cap, HELP!!!

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:23 AM
  • 11 Replies

So we've tried EVERYTHING to help soothe my poor 4 month old. She is red and bumpy from head to toe. She even has a spot on her forearm that looks like pimples or boils and it opened and clear stuff came out. PLUS her cradle cap is OUT OF CONTROL. It's to the point that she scratches like mad and screams in frustration and seemingly pain. I can only imagine how miserable she is. Here's what we've done so far:

Baby oil on for a while, then scrub out flakes

Olive oil, same

Eczema lotion on her head

Head and Shoulders

Selsun Blue (I was scared to continue using it, it seemed to cause her pain, I think it burns her head)

Oatmeal wash

Cetaphil soapless wash

Cortisone creams, low grade and stronger (they seem to make it worse)

Aveeno Eczema lotion (worked for a while, then she flared up again)

Frozen peas to draw out the itch, seemed to make her happy for about 1 min.

Then because we were desperate, we tried stopping EVERYTHING and seeing if maybe we were just irritating it more with all our remedies and it would clear up on it's own, BIG MISTAKE. It flared up with a vengeance.

Nothing is working. She has open cuts on her head from scratching. I feel so horrible and helpless. I'm calling in for a same day appointment on Monday, but I don't know how much they're going to help. last time I went in they prescribed her the selsun blue. And I didn't have much faith in the doc when I asked what's in the selsun blue and why do you want us to try it she replied "I don't know what's in it, let me google it. And I had another mother tell me it worked for her." It really wasn't comforting.

I'm wondering if maybe cold aloe would help? I'm open to suggestions PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE someone give me some ideas here. Even if it's something prescription that I can ask her doc for on Monday.

Katy SAHM to Teagan

by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
slransde
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Try amlactin xl, when I worked at the pharmacy people swore by it for eczema
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slransde
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:26 AM
I have nothing for cradle cap...sorry!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadKiddo
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:30 AM
1 mom liked this

She might have a food allergiy (probably milk) that is causing her this problem. Find another doctor, and another, and another, until you get results. But it sounds like an allergy to me!

MsKatyy
by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:19 AM

I'm BFing, could she be allergic to breast milk?

Katy SAHM to Teagan

Caligurl19
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:20 AM
Try when she is in the bath with wet hair brush it with a comb I used to Pick it off their heads and it did a good job and just keep brushing her hair backwards
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamieharper08
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:23 AM

This could be a sign of something serious. Is this an ongoing problem? 

jamieharper08
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:24 AM

She is getting whatever you are putting into your body....so yes.

Quoting MsKatyy:

MsKatyy
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:28 AM

Yes, it started when she was about 2 months old and hasn't stopped. It cleared up when we started using Aveeno Eczema lotion, but just flared up again worse than ever. We're military, so she sees a different doc almost every time we go in, and they don't seem concerned about it. This is the worst it's ever been though. She's 4 months old, so it's been going on for 2 months now.

Katy SAHM to Teagan

Maria_Peanut
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I ageee. I have had terrible eczema since i was a newborn (22 now) and this sounds worse than anything i've ever went through. I would take her to her pedi and MAKE THEM do something..

Quoting jamieharper08:

This could be a sign of something serious. Is this an ongoing problem? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Avetay
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:33 AM
She could be allergic to the dairy you eat. Personally I would cut dairy out. It could take 2 weeks before you notice anything but it may work.

Quoting MsKatyy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)