Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Stripping membranes?

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:56 PM
  • 11 Replies
My dr said he wanted to do this Friday. I am 38 weeks, and 4 cm dilated and 50% effaced and this is my third baby. He said to stay home and close to the hospital cause he doesnt think it will take much. I am just nervous about being alone (my SO will be at work an hour away) and worried about it hurting. Has anyone had this done?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kaleigh92805
by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:57 PM
I had it done yesterday..i haven't been feeling well today... Waiting on my contractions to get regular..i had it done with my others and it didn't work... I'm 38 weeks 5 days
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sara.Worthey
by on May. 9, 2012 at 6:40 PM
I had it done twice with my second in hopes that it would make the contractions more productive. It kinda worked the second time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mestiza_07
by on May. 9, 2012 at 6:44 PM
I had it done twice...1st pregnancy my water broke that night and lAbor for 13 hrs, 2nd had contractions and slept through them until contractions were 8 min apart. Water broke in er with a contraction and baby was born in er. 3rd water broke on its own and labor for 9 hrs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babygomez
by April on May. 9, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I had it done once. To me, it only felt like a quick pinch while it was being done. I felt fine afterwards, no pain or discomfort, not even spotting.

Best wishes!

tresninos2011
by on May. 14, 2012 at 11:45 AM

It doesn't hurt, very uncomfortable, but you wouldn't know what they were doing had they not explained the process so vividly. It has a 50/50 chance of working. So try not to stress. I had it done and still went two days beyond and needed pitocin once at the hospital at 5 cm, 100% and at station 0 that was my 2nd pregnancy and the only one where my membranes were stripped due to my large baby bundle born 8 lbs 8 oz.

_muffin_
by on May. 14, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Is there a reason he is trying to get you to induce labor? I would decline and just let thing happen naturally unless there is an immediate health issue if it were me.

louzannalady
by on May. 14, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Without a medical reason, he should NOT be trying to induce labor in any way shape or form, before 39 weeks (at least!) per ACOG guidelines. I had it done with DS too early- I was around 38 weeks and did not have a favorable Bishop Score. It lead to my water leaking and a host of issues and interventions. I almost ended up with a c-section. I am sharing some links on induction and ways to so as safely as possible- if this is a route you want to take. Most important is knowing your Bishop Score! 

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704615504576172291331227676.html

http://www.pregnancyandbaby.com/pregnancy/articles/941885/what-starts-labor 

http://www.acog.org/About_ACOG/News_Room/News_Releases/2011/Fight_Prematurity_with_Awareness_-_Longer_Pregnancies_Ob-Gyns_Say (ACOG guidelines on induction) 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/pregnancy/forums/read/16053311/Six_questions_to_ask_about_induction

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

aimesnyc
by on May. 14, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Had it done, and it didn't seem to make any difference.  It HURT, though!  Felt like I was being violated...lol. :P

stargazerwolf
by Member on May. 14, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I had it done this time in hopes to avoid another csection. I was only about 3 days short of due date, it was uncomfortable, but mostly just felt weird...i didnt think it worked and still don't really know, but then 2 days later started loosing my mucus plug, and on my due date started having a few contractions, water broke on my way in to the hospital to have a scheduled csection (due to previous csection) and I was able to VBAC! So I can't say for sure if it worked or if my LO was just ready to come any ways, because of the 18 1/2 hours of labor she was actually born the morning after her due date.

2teens2LOs
by on May. 14, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I suggest you have your DH take that day off, yes it is uncomfortable- but if you are that close, you dont need much to move along. Good Luck! You might just go right on to the hospital~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN