Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Do you pay your family members to babysit? A FEW QUESTIONS ADDED, UPDATE ADDED

Posted by   + Show Post
I won an award and am going to the Gala on May 23rd. Our son will be 5 weeks on Sunday. I told my SO a couple days ago that I would get someone to watch our son. I called my cousin today and she said she would watch him for me. I asked how much would she need to watch him for me. She asked was $20 ok. I thought that was great for about 5 hours! The event is three hours plus traveling. I told my SO and he said "Really? Our family isn't like that. They watch the kids for free! You can pay her since you made the deal."

Ok, that's fine and I will. I feel if I am gone more than 30 minutes, I need to pay for my son to be watched, family or not. I do expect a steep family discount, lol, but I would actually feel bad for having anyone watch my son without getting paid. My cousin loves him and offered to watch him while I was still pregnant. Plus, I feel she is doing me a favor and as a single woman things are really tight for her right now. I feel we are helping each other.

So, do you pay family to babysit your kids? Why or why not?

ADDED QUESTIONS

I have read all the replies and thanks for responding. I do have a few questions though. I am in no way trying to be snarky or tell you you're wrong, I am just really trying to understand.

If you take your kids to a non relative, you would pay them, right? Why wouldn't you pay family? Also, for those saying I would only pay the younger family members, why? Young or old shouldn't they all be offered to be compensated for their time? If they refuse payment, that's cool, at least it was offered.

I don't charge to watch my nephews or any other small relative. I do offer payment to watch my son. I feel like it's not their job to take care of him for free just because they are family and should be compensated for their time. Even if it's only $20 for a few hours, I feel I should offer something, especially with the way the economy is these days. Family or not I feel they are doing a job and they should get paid for it.

UPDATE

Wow! I didn't expect this many replies, thanks for taking a moment to leave your answers. I do agree with not paying if they ask to spend time and see my son, but if I ask, I offer to pay. I also think the Barter System is a great idea! I will watch your kids then next time you can watch mine, take them out to lunch or something. I will even pay with cookies, lol. I just feel I need to give or do something since they are doing me a huge favor.

Oh, just so I don't confuse anyone, I offered to pay my cousin and asked her to name her price. I thought $20 for that night was awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 12, 2012 at 2:26 AM
Replies (411-414):
mommaof697
by on May. 17, 2012 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

There is always something funny and some kind of crisis here.  But I do not know about keeping me young.

Quoting misslady80013:

That's cool. Wow! I bet there's lots of funny stuff going on in your house! I love kids, they are so fun and they keep me young, lol.

Quoting mommaof697:

I have 6 kids so i offered whether they took it was up to them. I would also ge them little gifts when I seen something that I thought they liked.

If someone asks me to babysit I usually do not charge unless it is an on going thing. every week, every day. etc.   I babysat a neighbors son and my fee was whatever extra fish he caught while fishing, or venison,that kind of thing. 

misslady80013
by on May. 17, 2012 at 1:10 PM
Aww, lol!

Quoting mommaof697:

There is always something funny and some kind of crisis here.  But I do not know about keeping me young.

Quoting misslady80013:

That's cool. Wow! I bet there's lots of funny stuff going on in your house! I love kids, they are so fun and they keep me young, lol.

Quoting mommaof697:

I have 6 kids so i offered whether they took it was up to them. I would also ge them little gifts when I seen something that I thought they liked.

If someone asks me to babysit I usually do not charge unless it is an on going thing. every week, every day. etc.   I babysat a neighbors son and my fee was whatever extra fish he caught while fishing, or venison,that kind of thing. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
c_ramirez8606
by on May. 18, 2012 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I only have like 3 people that watch my kids. My grandma, my mom, and my 14 year old brother. My grandma won't take any money. I will never pay my mom to watch my kids because I moved from CA to KY just for her to be around her grandkids. And I do pay my brother because it helps my mom out when my brother can buy the things that he needs. If a friend does watch my kids, I will always pay.

Kmansfield
by on May. 18, 2012 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this
It depends in how long I need them to watch him. Usually I only need him to be watched for an hour maybe an hour an a half. The most I was gone from him was 5 hours and he was home with daddy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)