Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Daycare question *Edit*

Posted by   + Show Post

I've been thinking about getting a part-time job, but by the time I pay for gas (we live in the boonies 20+ miles to the nearest town) and daycare I wouldn't be making much profit.

My question is..MIL offered to keep dd for $15/day, $20 if she has to keep her longer than planned. Is this good or would it even be worth it?

*I haven't looked into daycare costs around here, yet. I'm hoping I'll get to stay home with dd, but we really need the extra money.

*Edit*

Well Thanks, ladies! I knew daycare was expensive, but I had NO IDEA it was THAT expensive. Now, $15 a day is looking pretty dang good, lol! 

by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:05 AM
Replies (31-40):
dinc
by on May. 12, 2012 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Charging $15 a day seems very reasonable.  Yes, she is the grandmother, but she is entitled to a life.  She raised her children so compensating her a little for her time is a nice way to say thank you.  Her time is valuable and giving her the $15 isn't excessive at all.  If she feels taken for granted she might reconsider.

mvbullock
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 9:42 PM

That is a really good price from you MIL. I couldn't go back to work after having my triplets. Daycare for 3 infants is about $2400 per month where I live. crazy high.

ctfirsttimemom
by on May. 12, 2012 at 9:54 PM

well, I live in CT and that would be flipping CHEAP!!!  Day care for 40 hours a week runs about 300.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on May. 12, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Yes, that is a decent amount

angela.bouchard
by Angela on May. 13, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Yes that's very good!

SOCO101
by on May. 13, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Quoting USMCwife0530:

Maybe her mil also needs some extra cash? I know if I lived closer to my mom and I'd ask her to babysit, I'd pay her (maybe not as much as a reg daycare) since her only source of income is $550/month from SSI. I know she barely scrapes by each month. I wouldn't feel right about not paying her some, jmo.

Quoting rebekahmuse:

This is what I was thinking. My MIL watched my first son until pre-k for free because she wanted to. She wouldn't have took money from us if we tried.

Quoting moroccanmommy:

I cant understand why a grandma would charge??wth?? I take my daughters infant 4days a week...and love it! Would never think of charging her...shes family.

No, MIL is very well off. That's why I feel kinda funny about it. The main reason being she knows how much we struggle at times, to make it. But it is A LOT cheaper than taking dd to a daycare. Plus, I trust MIL, which makes a world of difference. 

She watches my BILs kid for the same.

USMCwife0530
by on May. 13, 2012 at 2:45 AM
Quoting SOCO101:

Well, that's good that you trust her, I don't trust my mil, lol. I only replied because like I said, my mom only lives off of SSI, she has RA and can't work. She barely makes it every month so I wouldn't feel right if I didn't pay her some. But when I fly her over to visit and I need a break from my kiddos, she gladly stays home with them at no charge ;)
SOCO101
by on May. 13, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Quoting BlessedToBeMe:

You should probably look around your area. I know to most of the moms on here that seems cheap but where I live that's about the same as the daycare for infants & if your son's older then 1, its on the expensive side. I did in-home daycare & charged less then that.

But i live in the middle of no where too, so I really think it makes a big difference

We live in a small town, and it's cheaper than other daycares, but not by much. That's why I wanted to see what yall thought. 

SOCO101
by on May. 13, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Quoting Nynnie:

I wont send my kid to daycare because there are so many things that could happen and he cant talk well enough yet. Plus all the daycares where I live are in bad spots, one took their kids on a nature walk and they found a dead body so only very trusted relatives for him. I think $15 a day is a good price because taking care of kids is a job that can be difficult

Holy Cow!! That's crazy! Were was this at?

SOCO101
by on May. 13, 2012 at 2:55 AM

Quoting DixieL:

If you are getting a part time job between over twenty miles away and I know day care if expensive I don't think you will be making any money at all. If you want to make a little extra money and you want to stay home can you baby sit for one child. It could be like a five or six year old and she could help a little with your baby. That sounds like the best idea to me Good Luck and Happy Mother's Day

I've thought about that, there's just not anyone besides my BIL's 2year old I could watch. And MIL's has that covered. I'm worried if I step up and talk BIL into letting me keep his ds, I'd be stepping on MIL's toes, KWIM? 

And Happy Mother's Day to you too!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)