Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Moms with babies who have milk allergies and reflux!

Posted by on May. 12, 2012 at 9:52 AM
  • 10 Replies
Ok so my daughter has a milk allergy and is on neocate formula and we avoid all milk and soy. She also has very severe reflux. She was on prevacid after taking her off zantec. She was on the compound but now apparently there is a back order on the stuff to make it so the doctor put her on the solutabs. Now I know the solutabs have a milk sugar in it so I asked her GI doc if she still wanted me to use this and she said yes it shouldn't bother her. I used it and she had some belly gurgling and was up crying for awhile one night. I thought this was due to the medicine. So we decided to switch her to the prilosec. I went to pick it up and my insurance does not cover it and I had to pay 200 dollars for a 30 day supply. Now I feel stuck. What do I do? Do I try the prevacid again and see if that was causing a reaction? If your kids have milk allergies did they react to the prevacid solutabs?
by on May. 12, 2012 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 10:08 AM
If she has a milk allergy she shouldn't have that medication. Why a doctor would say it is ok is beyond me! I would talk to the doctor again to discuss options.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AshlynnJadesMom
by on May. 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM
The doctor said it was a milk sugar not a milk protein and she should be fine which didn't make sense to me. I am so confused and not sure what to do. I am infuriated that I work full time buy yet my insurance will not cover something my sick daughter needs. She is already underweigjt and was in the hospital on a feeding tube for 5 days due to reflux and this is just making me so mad that it is being taken so lightly.
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM
So it has lactose in it...do you know for sure that she is allergic to milk protein and not lactose? She could be allergic to both. I would still discuss it with the doctor, especially if you saw that she was uncomfortable with it.

Quoting AshlynnJadesMom:

The doctor said it was a milk sugar not a milk protein and she should be fine which didn't make sense to me. I am so confused and not sure what to do. I am infuriated that I work full time buy yet my insurance will not cover something my sick daughter needs. She is already underweigjt and was in the hospital on a feeding tube for 5 days due to reflux and this is just making me so mad that it is being taken so lightly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AshlynnJadesMom
by on May. 12, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Well when she was a newborn she had very bad gas and cried NON STOP. At about a month old I noticed she was pooping blood after we ahd already changed her to nutramigen. So the doctor tested her poop and sure enough it contained blood so she determined she had a severe milk allergy and switched her to neocate. Ever since then she was fine. They never did actual blood tests.
kittenmom001
by on May. 12, 2012 at 12:22 PM
I haven't tries those with my daughter sorry, she is still on Zantec
christinajoy864
by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:47 PM

i would be very careful not to give anything with lactose in it our there anny generaic forms of prilosec or something homeo pathic maybe

erinsmom1964
by on May. 12, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I know quite a few Moms from my reflux support group whos children had a reaction to Prevacid when they have milk intolerance.  Have your DR call the insurance company many times they say they do not cover reflux meds because you can buy OTC.  IF they are reminded and told OTC won't work because the child is too young to take it alot of times they will ok it.  I have had this issue.  Also you may rethink and just use the OTC I did that for my DD at about 6 months old.

AshlynnJadesMom
by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:28 PM
She is getting the packetd that I have to mix up. I called my insurance and filed an appeal. They are now covering some and we have a 50 dollar co pay. Still a lot but better than 200
Debbysewn
by on May. 12, 2012 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this

my boys and my nephew never had to have medication to help with their milk allergies. 

I did want to make sure there were a few things you were doing that doctor's often don't think of. 

first don't feed her laying down.  Her tummy needs to be at least 45% lower than her mouth during and for at least an hour after her feeding.  don't be too giggly after feeding her or giving her the medication. And most importand give her hugs and kisses from all of us at CafeMom, Happy Mother's Day

angela.bouchard
by on May. 13, 2012 at 12:45 AM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN