Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

I did it. He got some rice cereal! Eek...

Posted by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:48 PM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

So, I am not one to even give rice cereal, I have it on hand, but it had not been opened. My 4mo old is teething horribly. He was refusing to nurse but was hungry, I could tell he was hungry, but when he would latch on he would start suckling really fast, then just start crying. I was producing just fine, so I assume his teeth were hurting. I tried putting a cold wash rag in his mouth and then nursing him, no go. I tried a humphries, nope. Tried a bottle with BM, nope... I tried everything I knew to do. I gave him a bath to see if it would calm him down, he screamed and he usually loves baths. I rocked him, layed him on his tummy, tried everything that usually works. He spit out his binky, didn't want his blankey, didn't want to suck on the rag... Notta. 

Finally, I knew he had to be hungry, tried nursing him again and he wouldn't, so I went and busted out the rice cereal, mixed it with breast milk and offered it to him on a spoon, he loved it! He ate it off the spoon like he had been doing it forever! My first son never got rice cereal, I didn't plan on introducing foods for another 2 months or so, but I guess he is more ready than I am...

by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danotoyou2
by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Could he have an ear infection?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 5:50 PM

So glad that you found something that worked! 

Try giving him some oragel! 

SundayXC
by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I don't think so. No signs point to that, he is drooling a lot, and been chewing on his hands and teething rings, its been going on for awhile now, but today it was worse than usual. After he ate, he relaxed a bit, I gave him another humphries and he has been asleep.

He has a Dr. apt on Monday, so I will have her look then.

Quoting Danotoyou2:

Could he have an ear infection?

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM
3 moms liked this
Sounds more like a growth spurt with some teething. He wouldn't have starved himself if you didn't give him the cereal, it's instinct. Be cautious that the cereal may cause more issues than you're already dealing with. Google "virgin gut".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SundayXC
by on May. 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM

He is perfectly fine. Had a nice poop this morning, and didn't have any tummy issues at all.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Sounds more like a growth spurt with some teething. He wouldn't have starved himself if you didn't give him the cereal, it's instinct. Be cautious that the cereal may cause more issues than you're already dealing with. Google "virgin gut".

JadedFaerie
by on May. 13, 2012 at 12:25 PM
2 moms liked this

Issues with digestion may not show themselves for several days, in the same way an allergy can stay dormant for several days.

I'm not saint, and have given my daughter solids early, but I learnt the hardway the problems it can cause. 

BeccaBabyy
by on May. 13, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Aw lol bless. Hope he feels better <3

SundayXC
by on May. 14, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Been 2 days, still no issues. I have not continued to give it to him. I just knew he was hungry and that it was hurting him to nurse, so I tried something to fix his hunger issue. I'm pretty sure I would be getting bashed if I said I made him scream it out, hungry and in pain, not to mention I would feel horrible. I feel I did the right thing, it's not like I am making it a regular thing, in fact, I haven't given him anymore, because he has been nursing fine.

Quoting JadedFaerie:

Issues with digestion may not show themselves for several days, in the same way an allergy can stay dormant for several days.

I'm not saint, and have given my daughter solids early, but I learnt the hardway the problems it can cause. 

mamabens
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Be aware that the rice cereal prevents the iron in your breastmilk from being absorbed properly.  I highly suggest googling the virgin gut.......

louzannalady
by on May. 14, 2012 at 7:59 PM
: ( Sorry he's not well.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN