Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Gas problems, help!

Posted by on May. 13, 2012 at 11:17 AM
  • 13 Replies

Hi ladies, my daughter (3 weeks old today) has been very constipated her pedi has me giving her Dark Karo Syrup in her bottle and a little bit of apple juice everyday to help her go but she is still extremely gassy and cries out in pain... I was just wondering if anyone knew if and what kind of drops I should try or methods you've used, we massage her tummy which helps a little. I've read the Mylicon Infants Gas Relief drops were good but I'm not sure. Anyways I feel so bad because I don't know how to make her feel better :( so please any suggestions welcome!

Thank you and happy mother's day to you!

by on May. 13, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on May. 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this
First off I would fire your doc asap. Karo syrup is a huge no-no for infants. It can contain botulism which is deadly to babies. Same reason why honey is off limits for atleast the first year. And apple juice for a newborn is beyond horrible.
Instead of continuing to give your newborn a bunch of garbage, maybe you should look into switching formulas.
I'm not trying to be mean mama, but I really cannot believe a licensed doctor would tell you to do that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nickigoingon8
by on May. 13, 2012 at 1:15 PM
I wouldn't give your baby the kyro or apple juice. You can use water. Also nutramigen by enfamil worked great with my son and he had a lot of problems with gas and constipation
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeccaBabyy
by Member on May. 13, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Switch to a different formula.. Maybe Soya? 

wife-4-life
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2012 at 1:35 PM
I've given the mylicon drops and I do leg exercises pumping her legs to her chest and pressing them against her tummy as well as massages. Sometimes u have to wait it out. I would never do the karo syrup tho. I just don't like the idea of giving that to my babies. Praying that she is able to work thru it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wife-4-life
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2012 at 1:36 PM
I completely agree.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

First off I would fire your doc asap. Karo syrup is a huge no-no for infants. It can contain botulism which is deadly to babies. Same reason why honey is off limits for atleast the first year. And apple juice for a newborn is beyond horrible.
Instead of continuing to give your newborn a bunch of garbage, maybe you should look into switching formulas.
I'm not trying to be mean mama, but I really cannot believe a licensed doctor would tell you to do that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoganTroyMom
by on May. 13, 2012 at 1:40 PM
Omg! karo and apple? insane!

simethicone drops are good, but after 2 weeks of age you can use gripe water which is best. i prefer baby bliss carried at walmart bc it requires no refridgeration. its excellent. also if your baby is formula fed switch formulas. try something like enfamil's gentlease or something similar. good luck! and fire that doctor!!
LoganTroyMom
by on May. 13, 2012 at 1:41 PM
burp every 2oz or so as well. my son is suuper gassy i have to give him gripe water and then burp him for like 15mins but if i dont use the gripe water itll be burp-eat-burp-eat for 2 hrs!!!
_muffin_
by on May. 13, 2012 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you breastfeeding or formula? If its a chronic issue then its probably a dietary problem. Finding the cause is better than just treating the symptoms. But to treat the symptoms try "bicycle legs" exercises and a tummy rub. I would skip the syrup and do the gas drops if the problem continues.

christinajoy864
by on May. 13, 2012 at 2:47 PM

i used the gas relief drops and they worked out well for little one

carribbean26
by on May. 13, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I would switch to a gas soothing formula and try the Mylicon drops. I used them for my daughter when she ha gas problems and it helped with her pain.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)