Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

When should baby go to the dentist?

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 3:30 PM
  • 39 Replies

I took my first child to the dentist when he was around 18 months. I'm thinking of taking my second baby earlier than that. My first son is terrible about brushing his teeth, and I would like to get good oral habits started earlier with #2.

When do you plan to take your baby to the dentist for the first time? How do you decide when it's time to go?

I'd love to see your answers! And I'm also posting this on behalf of CafeMom - we might feature some of your responses!

Thank you for your help!

by on May. 16, 2012 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2alexx
by on May. 16, 2012 at 3:32 PM

3 years old

YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2012 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I took my oldest at 4. I was so scared to take him (he's autistic) but it didn't go too badly. He cried through the entire thing and refused to sit in the chair but his teeth look good. I am taking my 2 year old in just before his 3rd birthday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babygomez
by April on May. 16, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I take my children to their first dental visit at 12 months. By that time, my daughter already had a few teeth, and was eating table foods. She has looked forward to, and enjoyed, brushing her teeth and mouth ever since. :)

Starleet
by on May. 16, 2012 at 4:40 PM

The dentist I took Hayden too, didn't take kids before they were 2.

http://marcisnails.blogspot.com/

Innocencedreams
by on May. 16, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Both of our kids were 12 months for their first trips. 

Lilypie - (iqsl)Lilypie - (ACwF)Lilypie - (sdZ8)   Daisypath - (iRXx)

madhouseof5
by Member on May. 16, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I really can't remember when my oldest first went but the others all went however old they were when the next six month check up was due 

The youngest age two has already been 3 times and we are due in the next couple of weeks 

None of them have had any problems with their teeth Well appart from one having his teeth kicked out playing rugby and two having braces 

LMEMomma05
by on May. 16, 2012 at 4:53 PM
I took Logan at 12 months cause I was concerned with his the way his teeth were coming in. His teeth are great nothing wrong, but we did find out that he's tongue tied. So we'll wait and see if his has any speech issues before we go to the next step.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama_bear77
by on May. 16, 2012 at 4:57 PM
6 months is the required time to take babies, try brushing everynight and give stickers as a reward.

im a dental assistant.
and well if they dont have teeth then you wait til the first one begins to show
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2012 at 5:05 PM
That's odd...I always heard 3 years of age was the time to bring a child to the dentist. Maybe it's different in different areas?

Quoting mama_bear77:

6 months is the required time to take babies, try brushing everynight and give stickers as a reward.

im a dental assistant.

and well if they dont have teeth then you wait til the first one begins to show
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama_bear77
by on May. 16, 2012 at 5:07 PM
yeah im in dallas texas and we start dental check ups at 6 months and up since the first teeth come out during the 6-10 months
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)