Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

how long did you rear face or child or how long do u plan to

my child is 17 months old and is rear facing still the law here says 1 year AND 20 pounds to forward face he meets requirments i just feel safer with him  rear facing a girl i went to school with has her 5 month old baby forward facing because the doctor said it was ok since he was 24 pounds this upsets me so bad but nothing i can do

by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:08 AM
Replies (361-362):
erinsmom1964
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Sorry that isn't true at all.  The overriding factor and requirement is all about harness and head placement.  AGAIN it is not like weight.  As long as you meet the requirements of 1 ich of seat over head and harness coming from beneath the shoulders you are using the seat properly.  If you actually READ the owners manual you will see.  They just give a guidance height as they can in no way predict torso, neck and head size.  For example my DD grew out of her seat RF at only 2 yrs 3 months.  Yes she is VERY tall but others can use the seat taller because my DD had a really long torso, really long neck and HUGE head.

Quoting Firenygirl180:

i know that they are just guidelines but if the manual says that the maximum height to rear face is 36" and i keep my son rf beyond that and we get into an accident and he is injured than it is my fault for not following the directions and it may void any warranty or replacement policy the manufacturer has.

Quoting erinsmom1964:

height unlike weight is just a guideline.  What is really important that there is an inch of shell over the head and the harness comes from under the shoulders.  A child who is short in torso but long in leg can SAFELY RF longer than 36 inches tall....likewise a child with a really long torso....long neck and huge head may not make it to 36 inches tall

Quoting Firenygirl180:

my son will rf until he is 36" tall which is the max height for his seat. at his 12month check he was 24lbs and 32.5". he stilll has 1.5" to go before he is tall enough to ff.

hugosma
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I have a 2001 bug I can get two carseat in the back of mine. Though any more that two kids we have to move onto my DH Jetta.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)