Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

2 year old 2 cavities..... :(

Posted by   + Show Post
6/9
UPDATE: well ladies the day came and I had to take Dd to a pediatric dentist. He confirmed she had 2 cavities and said that the laughing gas alone wouldn't be enough for her cause she's too antsy and will not stay still during the procedure. He said he would have to sedate her. :( I am so nervous about it. The appointment is for next July 7th... I just hope my dd will be fine. Please mamas learn from this and brush your kiddos teeth often!

5/13
I took my dd to the dentist yesterday and they found 2 cavities. The whole visit was a nightmare. She hates doctors/ nurses/ dentists and whoever she sees with a scrub. Well she started screaming and at some moment I thought she would faint she was very overwhelm. I felt terrible. She's the happiest little girl. Never cries, never whines but it was terrible. Now the problem is they need to fix the cavities ASAP. They told me there are two options: putting her in a robe to keep her quiet but she will cry during the whole procedure or giving her something to sleep her through he procedure.
I don't think the first one is an option. She will be traumatized. But I am so afraid of he second option. I need your help mamas. Tell me what u think and if this has ever happened to you. Thanks ... :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 6:22 AM
Replies (41-50):
angel_avalynn
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 6:59 PM
My 21 month old daughter didn't get her front teeth until she was 18 months. One of them grew in with a brown spot on it. We took her to the Dentist and he said it was a soft spot. It could have been caused by damage to the gum before the tooth grew out. Last week the whole tooth chipped in half. I want to get it fixed but anesthesia scares the heck out of me. It doesn't seem like it bothers her and it's more cosmetic than anything. I'm just not sure what what to do??
conweis
by New Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 7:02 PM

My little brother had to be put under. They had to put silver caps on his teeth. My mom was upset that he would be sedated but he came out fine. Groggy, but fine.

thePBandJmom
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 7:50 PM
My son needed to be sedated to have his teeth filled because he wouldn't hold still. The problem was they couldn't do it because he has big tonsils and if they sedated him there was a risk they would block his airway. So we had to take him to the hospital and have him put to sleep and taken into the OR to have it done. He woke up VERY mad, but they told me he probably would it was very normal.
kirstina
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

My son was 4 last spring when they sedated him to do his teeth. He had a few more cavities then that but it was the only they could fix them because he wouldnt have sat there for it.

annelauer
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Bad idea.  Also, did you get a second opinion regarding the existence of the cavities?  That would be VERY rare at two.  (Unless you are giving her soda in a bottle or something crazy like that...)  What is not very rare though, is dentists telling you that your kid has a problem and "fixes" it for the cash.  This happened to us (we got a second opinion) and several of our friends (who did not and got root canals and sedation for their kids).  The second dentist told us there was not a thing wrong with our daughter's teeth.  I know of several dentists in our area who practice this way.  I would definitely get another opinion.

millersmom13
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Why not just yank 'em out?

Quoting Silvertears1275:

Quoting mommy2annaliese:

WHY are you having anything done to baby teeth that just fall out anyway? serious question. I never understand it.. wouldn't they not really matter since they fall out?

DD is only 8 mo and NO teeth so I haven't been there yet and don't know how it works :p

If the cavities are left untreated, they could abscess and cause a lot of pain for the kid. 

Silvertears1275
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I'm pretty sure they don't because there would probably be spacing issues when their permanent teeth come in.  Baby teeth are kind of like "place holders".  I'm not a dentist though, so that's my best guess =)  Plus, when you have a 3 year old with a mouth full of cavities, you can't pull all of them or they'd have no teeth (and yes, it happens...  it's really sad)

Quoting millersmom13:

Why not just yank 'em out?

Quoting Silvertears1275:

Quoting mommy2annaliese:

WHY are you having anything done to baby teeth that just fall out anyway? serious question. I never understand it.. wouldn't they not really matter since they fall out?

DD is only 8 mo and NO teeth so I haven't been there yet and don't know how it works :p

If the cavities are left untreated, they could abscess and cause a lot of pain for the kid. 

christi79
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Luanhelo,

I had to do sedation dentistry at the hospital for my 9 year old daughter at the beginning of this year. I was a wreck up until it was time to go. It really wasn't that bad. Doing it at the hospital may be a little different than doing it in the dentist office but it is all a really smooth procedure. The people that do this are really great with the kids and keep them calm, you just need to stay calm too. Once we were in there and I saw how relaxed she was it really helped me. Hands down the hardest part of the whole thing is the waking up. The kids will be confused, scared, and most likely cry. It is hard to comfort them when they are this scared and crying. They just feel weird and want to get up and go but you can't let them so that makes them mad too. While my daughter was under I wasn't able to be in there with her so I went and bought her a stuffed animal from the gift shop, that really helped her calm down and focus on something else a little. All and all it wasn't bad and there are no lasting side effects. Good luck and best wishes.

mommy2cristian
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM

My oldest had 4 cavities at that age & our dental insurance wouldn't cover sedation.  It was expensive to pay for it but that wasn't the problem.  The problem was that it was done in a dental office & I was concerned if something went wrong what would they do?  So I did some research & found a law I believe that was passed that says some dental work performed 7 & under can be covered under medical insurance in a hospital.  Well your dental coverage pays for the work but medical pays for hospital room & hospital related stuff.  I checked my medical handbook & found the information.  They fought me on it, I appealed, gathered more info & finally had them cover it.  My son had his treated in a Children's hospital where they put him to sleep & filled them. 

christi79
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Any good dentist will show you the pictures that they take and point out the cavities. Cavities in two year olds is not as rare as you think and it doesn't always stem back to soda out of a bottle. My uncles daughter had six cavities at two. They eat everything natural, organic, and do not drink soda. The problem was they fed her a ton of fruit her whole life up until that point and forgot to brush her teeth, opps. There are some crocked dentists and it is a shame that you feel the dentists in your area are scammers. There are several companies out there that can help you find a good dentist. If luanhelo's dentist showed her the pictures and pointed out the cavities and she feels she can trust the dentist, getting a second opinion isn't needed and some insurance companies will not cover a second opionion without a referal, just something to take into consideration.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)