Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Would you take your baby to a doctor with this name?

So I was recently looking for a new pediatrician for DS and I searched within a 10mile radius of my area code for a pediatrician. One came up at children's hospital named "Dr. Badcock" I couldn't help but giggle and look over it.

would you take your child to a doctor with that name? TBH it would make me feel uneasy...

Edit: to all those that are telling me to grow up. You can call me immature or whatever but not once did I saw I wouldn't pick him as my pediatrician. All I said it would make me feel easy. It would be extremely awkward for me. I don't pick my doctors based on the name, did you stop to thing that this guy might not be close enough to me to take my son there on a regular basis? And before you say "then don't look in a 10mile radius", I put in for a 5mile radius and it didn't bring anything up and when I set it to 10miles it ended up bring things up that could have been listed under 5miles. Like his doctor now that was only 3miles from my house
Way to be the stuck up CMs of this post:) everyone else had a giggle just as I did I guess they need to grow up too? Or you just need to get the stick out of your ass:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 4:43 PM
Replies (51-60):
melindabelcher
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:51 AM
Yep. If he was someone I wanted to see I wouldn't let a name affect it. Although I might have a hard time not laughing when he introduces himself :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mesasmommie
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:30 AM

It would make me giggle but as long as he was a good doc then no his last name wouldnt effect me.. my thought is Alot of our last names have a history Alot of last names Like Blacksmith go back to ancent times when maby a family member was a black smith. They weren't to creative with last names it was useally what ever trade you were in. So maby A ancestor way back when was Not that good You know were so he got the last name of badcock and it just stuck and became the family name!

Refurbished
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:02 AM

It's probably  "Babcock."

Pirate.Mum
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I giggled a little wondering if his first name was Peter.

Last name: Badcock

This interesting surname is of early medieval English origin, and is a diminutive of the baptismal name "Badde". The Olde English pre 7th Century given name "Bad(d)a" is of uncertain origin, but may be a short form of the various compound names with the first element "beadu", battle. It has also been suggested that the first element may be "Bat(e)", from a pet-form of "Bartholomew". The suffix "cock", applied to a young lad who strutted proudly like a cock, and soon became a generic term for a youth and was attached with hypocoristic force to the short forms of many medieval given names. "Batecok" was noted in the 1288 Assize Court Rolls of Cheshire, and "Badekoc" appeared in the 1296 Subsidy Rolls of Sussex. William Badecok was listed in the Ministers Accounts of the Earldom of Cornwall, Dorset (1297). In the modern idiom the surname can be found as Badcok, Badcocke, Badcock and Batcock. Recordings of the surname from London Church Registers include: the christening of Pacience Badcock on March 31st 1563, at St. Mary Somerset; the christening of John, son of Thomas Badcock, at St. Dunstan's in the East, on May 31st 1563; and the marriage of Martha Badcock and Raphe King at St. Mary Magdalene's, Old Fish Street, on June 28th 1585. A Coat of Arms granted to the family depicts three red cocks on a silver pale on a black shield, the Crest being a red demi cock. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Edrich Bathecoc, which was dated 1221, witness in the "Assize Court Rolls of Worcestershire", during the reign of King Henry 111, known as "The Frenchman", 1216 - 1272. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Badcock

Where I grew up we had a dentist named Dr. Droege. Though I am thinking the proper German was not pronounced this way, in Illinois he and everyone else pronounced it "druggie".

Namaste! ~Serenity*
First mate to my Captain Al
, Pirate mum to DAK (19), PIT (15) & Immie(<1)

We are a bf-ing cd-ing, bls, circing/vaccing organic Firefly nerd family of Pirates
Hand-crafted Earth-friendly Natural bath & body: Selkie Sensuals

HarrisonMD
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM

That's hiliarious...I would probably take mine there for shits and giggles! DH would probably be laughing his ass off too! If you think that's bad...throughout AL is a furniture chain called BadCock Furniture! It's too funny!

angevil53
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:28 AM
As long as its not dr babykiller id go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama-smurf
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:30 AM
No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abra
by Abra on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:30 AM
same here.

Quoting cabrandy03:

lol, yeah I would, it's just a name.  But it is a little funny!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Sells
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

We can't pick our names like we can't pick our skin color. It has no bearing on his education and experience as a doctor. I would have no problem bringing LO to see a doctor witht that name.

ashleywagoner
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Quoting proudmommy690:

sure...its just a name imo lol. especially if hes a good dr!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)