Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Pacifier or no pacifier while breast feeding.

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM
  • 39 Replies
Thoughts on whether to introduce a paci?

Also I have met the six week mark and I want to introduce pumped milk in bottle but still primarily breast feed. I a, so worried he will get confused but I see so many other mothers combine bottle with breast with noroblem .... What is your experience?

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Once your supply levels out and you feel comfortable. I never used one but had a huge supply.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preplovesyou
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:00 AM
I don't use one, but that was babies choice. She used a soothie for about a month and decided she didn't want them anymore. There was never a confusion while using them though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamak3211
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I offered a paci around 6 weeks but dd wouldn't take it. I'm kind of glad she didn't I never had to break her of it.

For pumping- I also started around 6 weeks and did 1 bottle/day or every other day for a little while. Then we stopped bottles for a little while (no real need and I got lazy about pumping) and dd wouldn't take a bottle anymore but eventually we got her to take a sippy if needed. Some babies develop a preference because bottles flow faster, they don't have to work as hard, don't have to get letdown going so slow flow nipples may help with that. I didn't have too many issues with nipple confusion so I don't have many tips but by six weeks bfing is usually pretty established. good luck!

MollyJmommy
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM
I started a paci at 3 weeks with my daughter she had a great latched. If you feel you're ready to start go for it. Bottles will mess with a babies latch so be aware of that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aniters
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM

my baby had surgery at 4 weeks and used a pacifier for 2 weeks after but then left it alone on his own. i used to pump milk and also breastfeed him and then stopped for a while. when i tried to introduce a bottle again he wouldnt take it. he's now 7 months and still doesnt take a bottle.

cowgirlsmommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM

My daughter got a pacifier from day 1.  I had to pump during the day because I worked full time and my daughter could switch between breast and bottle with no problem.  We used Tommee Tippee bottles.

KMadsen
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:19 AM

The nurses gave my daughter a binkie while we were in the hospital. I actually had no intentions of giving her one as I feared nipple confusion but it didn't cause any. She weaned herself off of it at 3 months same with the bottle.

abra
by Abra on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM
I start the paci within 24 hours of birth. It has never caused any confusion for any of my 4.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UxorQuodMatris.
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM
My formula fed babies took them, my breastfed baby never would.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Avetay
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM
My ebf dd and ds got a paci at a day old. No problems. Ds got a pumped bottle at 2 weeks. Dd at 6. I only use mam brand pacis and bottles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)