Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Pacifier or no pacifier while breast feeding.

Posted by   + Show Post
Thoughts on whether to introduce a paci?

Also I have met the six week mark and I want to introduce pumped milk in bottle but still primarily breast feed. I a, so worried he will get confused but I see so many other mothers combine bottle with breast with noroblem .... What is your experience?

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Replies (31-39):
DeeDee205
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I pumped only so my babies could have a bottle when we were with company or out in public.  Many times, they both refused the bottle and would only take it from the tap.  They both only used paci's for 2, maybe 3, months and gave it up on their own.  No nipple confusion whatsoever with either babies.

abra
by Abra on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM
whichever came first

Quoting hellokittyy:

Did you feed on demand or every two hours

Quoting abra:

oh yes. I breastfeed as soon as the baby is born and every couple hours for the first 24 hours. The paci is given at random intervals inbetween unless they are just cranky. But not around feedings.

Quoting hellokittyy:

What do you think you should do first.?

Breastfeed,then paci after.?

Quoting abra:

I start the paci within 24 hours of birth. It has never caused any confusion for any of my 4.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brandy85412
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:03 PM

mine wouldn't take one or a bottle either by that time.

angela.bouchard
by Angela on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I don't have any experience with breastfeeding other than pumping. Here's a bump for you.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM
Introducing a pacifier is really up to you. If at any point in time your baby starts having latching issues, toss it. And try not to use it too frequently, breastfed babies eat very often and sporadically and you don't want the paci to trick baby's body into thinking it's not hungry (which can really happen).
For bottles, it's best to wait until atleast 6 weeks. Your supply takes a bit to be fully established, so baby at the breast is very important. Mom shouldn't be the one to give bottles and bottles should never be larger than 3oz. And anytime a bottle is given you need to pump for that missed feeding not only to prevent engorgement, but to keep up with supply. Honestly, if pumping isn't an absolute must (for work, for having to leave baby with someone, etc), it's so much better just having baby at breast, pumping is a total pain in the bum! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-mrs.mamma-
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:47 PM
I offered several times in the first months ..but my DS wouldn't take one; I tried all different kinds.
He finally took one at 4 months old. I just don't think he was ready yet..
He also takes a bottle great now too.. he also refused bottles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
geminisiren
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:01 PM
Exactly this.

Quoting abra:

I start the paci within 24 hours of birth. It has never caused any confusion for any of my 4.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ajohnson2334
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:06 PM
My opinion on it is: if baby has a good latch, and your supply is good then go for it.

Ds had poor latch, I had to use a shield, he got bottle preference and also used a paci. I breast fed for less then 6 months. He was introduced to a paci at the hospital.

Because he had a hard time, I refused to intoduced DD to a bottle or paci until 6 weeks...she refused to take one until about two weeks ago - she is 9 months old. However ishe had an excellent latch and no problems. Had I intoduced a paci to her, I probably would not have bf as long as I have.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nannycare
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

My last client and new baby did both. The bottle is convenient as her 2nd baby (boy) lingers while being breast fed. She will feed him from the bottle, he does fiine and  things move along more quickly. My current client (just 6 mos yesterday) is breast fed, bottled fed and uses a paci. The paci is no problem as he only uses it to soothe himself to sleep.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)