Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

My baby is allergic to milk and peanuts...I am really upset

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:23 PM
  • 6 Replies

Wednesday night my LO had an allergic reaction to some mashed potatoes that he had. So we took him to the doctors office, they ordered an allergy test and we took him to have blood drawn on Thursday. He will be 10 months old on the 23rd and actually took the blood being drawn pretty well considering. Well the doctor just called me back today and said that he is highly to milk and peanuts. I am pretty upset about this news. I am not allergic to ANYTHING, literally. So I don't know what it's like to watch my diet or have to be careful about what I eat in the sence that I would have an allergic reaction. So now I am upset because he has these allergies. I have a million things racing through my head right now like how do you get allergies, will he grow out of it, what can I do now? The doctor said that she would be back in the office tomorrow but I have a ZILLION questions I want answered now. And the peanut allergy is one of the worst kinds! I already felt like I was paranoid before...I guess it wasn't just paranoia!

by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
kaffedrikke
by Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:25 PM
The good news.is.theres.tons of delicious alternatives. Bad news, youll have to become an intense label reader.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:27 PM
You just have to scour every label religiously. It's kinda a blessing because it forces you to not rely on processed packaged foods, but whole real foods you make yourself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saltyalley1227
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:31 PM
My son is allergic to peanuts also. You can pm me if you want. Peanut allergies are actually better in a way because on most labels you can skip to the bottom and see "contains milk, nuts, etc" and since it's one of the most common they are very careful in schools about it.
They CAN grow out of it, especially since he is so little still. He's building up immunity to everything. The way my allergist explained it is babies are born pretty much allergic to everything and are slowly exposed in small amounts through our breast milk. Once they start eating they continue to build immunity. Do you BF at all? I'm assuming so since you just found out he's allergic to milk.

I've been conducting my own private research on allergy immunotherapy if you want some info go ahead and msg me!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbyblueAK
by Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:34 PM

allergies suck because you have to read labels a lot. my husband is allergic to eggs. there is tons of alternatives though

Misery_Stitches
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:10 PM
My DD was allergic to milk, peanuts and eggs but grew out of them all by around 6-7 years old. But she also developed environmental allergies (aspergillis sp? Mold, and dust mites) and is also allergic to all body washes and some shampoos that we have tried.
My DS is allergic to dairy and strawberries, has asthma and minor eczema.
You learn to live with it though :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bookoholic
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 3:18 PM
My ds is allgeric to strawberries, and im lactose intolerant. I LOVE almond milk, but peanut allergy right, so try rice milk its awsome too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)