Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Feeding baby

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:53 AM
  • 8 Replies
My daughter is 6 months old. I breastfed until last month when my body decided it was done producing. At first she transitioned to bottle feeding very well, but for the last week she has only had 2-3 6oz bottles a day, plus about a fourth a cup of rice cereal. It takes her about an hour and a half to finish a bottle. She isn't fussy or showing any signs of upset stomach, ear infection or anything else that indicates discomfort or allergies. We tried three different bottle types, and sampled several different types of formula to see if that would help her, but she still doesn't seem to want to eat much. We have a doctor appointment in 2 weeks, but in the meantime I just wanted some advice from other moms. Do you think this is normal, just harmless temporary loss of appetite? Or should I be worried about her nutrition? Any suggestions?

Types of formula I tried: enfamil stage 1, gerber gentle, gerber protect, Kroger (store brand) gentle.
Bottles: playtex drop-in nursers, dr. Browns, regular cheap bottles
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Duquesne
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:57 AM
Have you tried a different nipple flow?

And are you sure she isn't still hungry? i don't formula feed. Everywhere I've read says that you multiply her weight by 2.5 to calculate around how much baby should be taking. Is she constipated? Formula AND rice cereal are very constipating.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:03 AM
1 mom liked this
It sounds normal for a baby who just transitioned from breast to bottle. Breastfed babies don't drink as much as a formula fed baby(usually 1.5-3oz). Have you tried making a 4 ounce bottle every 2 hours? It might just be too much for her to handle right now all at once. I would try lowering the amount and increase frequency, then slowly increase the amount of formula given over the next couple months. I would also stop the cereal as well because that could be keeping her feeling full so she doesn't want the formula and the formula is more important than cereal. How is her diaper output?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:05 AM
Also- stick with one kind of formula... It's hard on a baby's tummy to switch often. You could maybe put her on the preemie formula for the extra calories until her tummy is stretched enough to handle the higher amounts per feeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aydnsmommy
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:09 AM
I think you might be giving her too much at a time. When you are breastfeeding you are only suppose to put 1 to 1.25 oz in z bittle for every hour you are away but not suppose to exceed 3 oz at a time. So she should only be getting 3 oz every 2-3 hours. Her tummy is still use to breastfeeding so it is use to getting smaller amounts. Try only 3 oz and see what happens. She will proably eat more often. Her tummy is really only this size of her fist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:10 AM
Oh and as for bottles I found my son like the Nuk kind with the orthodontic nipples best.... He's breastfed and we started with those bottles to get him used to using a bottle/cup and it worked... I am thinking its because he is used to using pacifiers. Keep trying with different bottles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charleereno
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:11 AM
We switched the formulas to see if she would eat any better with something else. Right no I am sticking with the gerber gentle, she seems to do best with that. I'll try stopping the cereal. Diapers have been great! A little less often because she is eating less, but when she poops they look normal. Thank you for the advice!
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:20 AM
Umm supply just doesn't magically disappear like thet once it's established you can breastfeed....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:24 AM
Also, a 6 ounce bottle is gigantic. 4 ounces is the absolute maximum a baby should get (although many overstretched ff from.birth or shortly after will claim.differently).
Try 3-4 ounce bottles every 3-4 hours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)