Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

my breastfeading journey is over! :(

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:02 AM
  • 44 Replies
I have been going strong for 9 months and 16days. But I think my milk is starting to dry up. Monkey is nursing more and for less amount of time. 15-30 mins after she nurses she screams and screams I put her back to the breast and she stops. Nurses and then 15-30mins later she is screaming again. She use to eat 6 times a day 30-40 mins at a time. Now it is like 5-10 mins flat both sides. Her diaper count is good though. Plus before I switch her from one breast to the other she bites me as if she is made that my breast may be empty. I tried hand suppressing and I got barley anything. I have been taking fenugreek like 4 times a day. I wanted so badly to make it to a year. Even Dh is trying to talk me into weening her and putting her on formula. His is because mainly the biting. I know this is a babbling mess of a post my thought are all over the place. I am just not ready to give up the bond we share. Or pay for the price of formula. And I also feel like a failure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
XOXOnBubbles
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this

You should visit the breast feeding group on here, and contact your local La Leche League.  They can give you more help and suggestions! 

If you don't want to stop... get help!  If it is just too much for you, then don't feel bad about using formula.  You need to do what is best for you AND your baby. 

Good luck! 

meagan0716
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:34 AM
The local leader for the le lache league her was unhelpful and criticized me. I have posted a few times in the bfing group and those ladies have came off the same way. I have seen one lady get ripped a new one in that group. I am already upset as it is about having to possible stop. And I don't like being criticized for something I have no control of. And mothers milk isn't helping either.

Quoting XOXOnBubbles:

You should visit the breast feeding group on here, and contact your local La Leche League.  They can give you more help and suggestions! 

If you don't want to stop... get help!  If it is just too much for you, then don't feel bad about using formula.  You need to do what is best for you AND your baby. 

Good luck! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
XOXOnBubbles
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:37 AM

I know several people who breastfeed, but also supplement with formula.  This may be a good option for you... 

I would always nurse first before offering formula so your supply does not diminish too rapidly though. 

meagan0716
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:39 AM
Ty I just posted in the bfing group. But I am worried about the outcome that may be posted

Quoting XOXOnBubbles:

I know several people who breastfeed, but also supplement with formula.  This may be a good option for you... 

I would always nurse first before offering formula so your supply does not diminish too rapidly though. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tinkerspell
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:39 AM
I am so sorry my milk seems to dry early too and cried for a month straight after having to put my babys on a bottle i am with you i love the bond and closeness about but mama you are NoT a failure you have done everything you can and dont let others make you feel bad try upping your calorie intake when you eat see if that help and lots of water
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liebevoll_mami
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:40 AM

growth spurt? new teeth? 

if you cant make it dont feel like a failure...i only made it to 4 months because of my own stupidity. 

Ashiopeia
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Domperidone is an option if you really have tried everything else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meagan0716
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:43 AM
I drink 6 1 liter bottles of water a day. My calories I have upped when I found out I was suppose to have 2000 a day while bfing. With my first dd my milk never came in. So I guess i am lucky to get this far with dd2.

Quoting tinkerspell:

I am so sorry my milk seems to dry early too and cried for a month straight after having to put my babys on a bottle i am with you i love the bond and closeness about but mama you are NoT a failure you have done everything you can and dont let others make you feel bad try upping your calorie intake when you eat see if that help and lots of water
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:43 AM
2 moms liked this
Mama, you don't just dry up after it's established you can breastfeed, let alone 9 months in, simply impossible (with the exception of if you're pregnant or went on estrogen based birth control) Your supply does however continue to regulate to exactly what baby needs and baby can hit a growth sport and need more suddenly. The popping on & off, acting frustrated is good and how baby gets what they need.
If her diapers are good (4 a day at this point), the supply is there. It doesn't come out if it isn't going in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mataya2011
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Don't feel bad I was only able to breastfeed for 2 months. I wanted to do it longer but I had a seizure and was on meds that would have gotten to her. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN