Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Sippy cups

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:02 PM
  • 17 Replies

Is anyone else having a hrd time with switching to sippy cups? my little guy will only take a oz out of a sippy, but if i was to let him drink from a cup he will drink it no problem i have tryed straw sippys and regular sippys and still a oz and he is done but if i put the milk into a bottle he finishes it no problems. ideas? thoughts?

by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:05 PM
My children have always done sippy cups without any issue.

I would say keep offering, try different types, or just let him use a real cup. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaylaMillar
by Kayla on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:05 PM
Keep offering it. He'll drink from it when he's ready
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abra
by Abra on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:55 PM
This is what I do. My kids adjusted to it between 12 and 18 months old.

Quoting KaylaMillar:

Keep offering it. He'll drink from it when he's ready
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicole2884
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM

he isnt ready if he was he be drinking it all

as long as you have try sippy cups with hard an soft spouts , if he rejected both then he isnt ready 

friendlymom48
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:59 PM
At 1 yr with both of my kids we quit bottles cold turkey at the advice of their pediatrician. Within a day they had the hang of it. Like the doc said, when they're thirsty they'll drink from the sippy if the bottle is not an option.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlecheifsmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:36 PM

my first born could never figure out a sippy cup. it didnt matter if it was a hard or soft. valve or not.

he went right to a straw playtex cup at 7 months old.

cutestmom24
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:51 PM
I recently got my dd a cup that has a straw and dd drinks her jucie and water out of it.the bottle that she uses has a sippy cup nipple (the bottle is a nuk)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 4:54 PM

We used straw cups or open cups with my second from the get-go.  My oldest's speech therapist told us to trash the sippies when he started therapy (at 21months) because of how inappropriate they are for oral development.  We haven't had any in the house since then.

christi79
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I had problems with the plastic sippy cups, my kids hated them they were hard. I did the rubber tip ones, they toke to that BUT it isn't much different from a bottle. If he has no problem drinking out of a regular cup let him. If he only drinks an ounce so that is all he drinks. He won't go thirsty. There is no set order or pattern that you have to do. Opt out on the sippy cup if you can all together, I had a harder time getting rid of the sippy cup than I did the bottle. It's just what ever your child wants. Try to get him completely away from the bottle by the time he is two though, that's whats recommended. Good luck.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Keep offering it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)