Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

My DD is 6.5 months and has become a pretty poor sleeper. She was excellent from month 2-4 (sleeping 8-11 hours a night!), but now wakes up every 1-2 hours until about 2 a.m., where she will finally sleep a three hour stretch.  

My husband begins the bedtime routine at 7 p.m., which involves a bath and stories. She is always yawning and rubbing her eyes by that time.  I then take over and breastfeed her and rock her. She continues rubbing her eyes during this and sometimes starts falling asleep.

Lately, she will wake up as I am putting her in her crib, or very soon after. And she's wide awake all of a sudden! She will crawl around, sit up, and smile at me.  If I leave the room, she will immediately start crying - hard. I've tried waiting a few minutes outside of her door, but she doesn't give up. I am not willing to do the CIO method, so I go back in and try to just rub her back, hold her hand, and get her go to sleep.

Most times, that is not enough. She is wide awake until I pick her up, then she will immediatly lay her head down on my chest or shoulder and start falling asleep. I lay her down and the cycle begins again. Please help! Is anyone else experiencing anything like this? Any ideas of why it's happenening or what I can do to help?

Thank you in advance for reading this and offering any tips that have worked for you! :)

**Update** - Thank you for all of your replies and ideas! I tried the white noise box and a nighlight last night, and she slept so much better! She slept from 9:45 - 3:30 before waking up! I went in to change her diaper and feed her, and then she slept again until almost 6! :)

by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 12:34 AM
Replies (21-23):
RunninMa
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 8:28 AM

We're doing the Baby Led Weaning meathod, and she's had a good variety of foods so far: applesauce, pumpkin, banana, avacado, nectarine, plum, quinoa, eggs, mango, etc.  She almost never gets gas, which has been nice.

I did just add a little nightlight to her room last night, and that seems to have helped a bit.

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

what kinda food did you start her on.

does she have more  gas than she used to?

and as for the cry it out method  the way we did it was we let him cry but when he

started gettiing really worked up then went in. we  only had to do it like this for a week or so

and for the light we just used some blue rope lights .once we put those in he started sleeping better.

before that we had a regular night light but it didnt seem to help much

Quoting RunninMa:

She doesn't have a night light at all. I keep the room as dark as possible to encourage sleeping. If there is light, she tends to wake up and look around or want to play.

I have a white noise machine that I use in the jogging stroller - I should try moving it to the crib.

Yes, she is still breastfeeding. We started on solids about a 2 weeks ago.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

does she have a night light or somthing of that sort in her room?

also they have stuffed animals that have a heart beat like she heard when she was in the womb.

they also have sound machines that have that and other sounds to help her sleep.

also is she ebf or is she starting on solid foods. if she is doing solids try some rice cereal befor you bf

jaydensmom1726
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 10:58 AM

thats a pretty good variety of food just watch her after she as the avacodo or the eggs

those are some major allergey offenders

Quoting RunninMa:

We're doing the Baby Led Weaning meathod, and she's had a good variety of foods so far: applesauce, pumpkin, banana, avacado, nectarine, plum, quinoa, eggs, mango, etc.  She almost never gets gas, which has been nice.

I did just add a little nightlight to her room last night, and that seems to have helped a bit.

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

what kinda food did you start her on.

does she have more  gas than she used to?

and as for the cry it out method  the way we did it was we let him cry but when he

started gettiing really worked up then went in. we  only had to do it like this for a week or so

and for the light we just used some blue rope lights .once we put those in he started sleeping better.

before that we had a regular night light but it didnt seem to help much

Quoting RunninMa:

She doesn't have a night light at all. I keep the room as dark as possible to encourage sleeping. If there is light, she tends to wake up and look around or want to play.

I have a white noise machine that I use in the jogging stroller - I should try moving it to the crib.

Yes, she is still breastfeeding. We started on solids about a 2 weeks ago.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

does she have a night light or somthing of that sort in her room?

also they have stuffed animals that have a heart beat like she heard when she was in the womb.

they also have sound machines that have that and other sounds to help her sleep.

also is she ebf or is she starting on solid foods. if she is doing solids try some rice cereal befor you bf

RunninMa
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Thank you for your responses and tips jaydensmom1726! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)