Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

When did you start your baby on baby cereal?

Posted by   + Show Post

At how many months did you start your baby on cereal , then baby food?

by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 9:01 AM
Replies (21-30):
louzannalady
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I made the mistake of starting DS on cereal as his first solid at six months. Never again! The soonest you should introduce any solid, per AAP and WHO is six months. Babies under six months have an open gut, which means germs go directly from their stomach to their blood stream. This could be very dangerous for such an under-developed immune system. It is also a big reason babies develop food allergies if foods are introduced before six months. Studies also show that babies who have solids before six months are more likely to become diabetic and obese. Some pedis say start at four months, but the AAP guidelines changed nearly two years ago, to six months, and a pedi who is up-to-date should know better! 

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/129/3/e827.full?sid=45299156-71bc-46f3-abfe-e0393fcec3d8#T2 (Current AAP guidelines)

The other issue is rice cereal. Rice cereal is an old recommendation. In retrospect, we are realizing that it has no nutritive value, is full of preservatives and filler and empty carbs. Not an ideal first food in any stretch of the imagination. Studies are showing that babies that start out spoon-fed are more likely end up obese. Furthermore, a baby cannot properly digest grains until they are closer to a year in age. Baby led solids is a great way to go, or just choosing which solids to introduce, which will be easy for baby to eat, but are full of great vitamins (avocados, bananas, sweet potatoes, steamed carrot bits). Solids before a year, really are just for exploring and fun- they are supposed to receive their nutrition through breast milk or formula at this point. 

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/delay-solids/

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/first-foods/

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this
We skipped cereals as its not good for baby.

We started table foods at 7-8 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cowgirls10181
by Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 11:54 AM
We are 8 months and still havent started cereal..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidenmommy2011
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 12:08 PM

no baby cereal here, we also delayed soilds and did baby lead solids, so I waited till he was ready which was 10.5months

cmack40487
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 12:09 PM
2 moms liked this
:/

Quoting declansMommy11:

3 months for cereal but it was in the botttle at first. At 3 and a half months i started to introduce baby foods.same with juice diluted with water. and he is now a happy healthy little toddler!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahsmommy508
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 12:34 PM

5 moths

Scarlette12
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Planning on giving her solids until she is 6 months or wants to try the foods I do..

Scarlette12
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 12:45 PM

That's what my friend did and try to get me doing... Hell no, too young...

Quoting cmack40487:

:/

Quoting declansMommy11:

3 months for cereal but it was in the botttle at first. At 3 and a half months i started to introduce baby foods.same with juice diluted with water. and he is now a happy healthy little toddler!!

BiPolarMomto3
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this
They all started baby oatmeal NIT RICE. At about 3 1/2 to 4 months old and then 5 months baby food
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 12:47 PM

It's being reccomended to skip baby cereal. It's void of any nutritional value. Not a good start for their bodies at all.

Start with a mild veggie or fruit like peas, green beans, avocado.

We don't believe in starting solids until at least 6 months. We didn't rush. They both had solids around 7-9 months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)