Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Help! Son is refusing bottle.

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 9:02 PM
  • 6 Replies

I am having a lot of difficulty getting my 3 month old son to drink his bottle. He has reflux is generally colicky, and about a month ago he started refusing his bottle. He went from drinking 4 oz at a feeding to 3oz, and it is a fight to get him to drink that much. He generally drinks the first ounce fine but then starts screaming and turning his head from side to side. We have to take a lot of breaks and I have to stand and walk around with him to get him to eat. He is on Zantac for his reflux and is on nutramigen formula but nothing has made his feedings easier. He is healthy and does continue to gain weight but I am worried that if he continues to eat this little he will start to lose weight. I was also hoping that by 3 months he would be sleeping better at night but from all the research I have done I find most people recommend getting your child to eat more during the day so they sleep better at night, but of course since he refuses to most times even finish 3 oz i can't imagine trying to get him to eat 1 to 2 more oz per feeding so he sleeps better. Has anyone else out there experienced this with their infant and  I would really appreciate any advice someone might have to give as to how to get my son to take his bottles more easily. 

by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
abra
by Abra on Jul. 17, 2012 at 1:17 AM
I'm not much help. I start the bottle (pumping every couple days) by the time they are 2 weeks old. Bump! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
casanderson1
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 1:19 AM
Bump for you, I have no idea I bf.
3babiesofmyown
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 1:20 AM
Not to this extent. Until he does lose weight tho i wouldn't actually worry. Also of course make sure there's no signs of dehydration. My daughter slept in her car seat for the first few months. Hang in there and talk to te doc again. There mate something different you can do with the med or formula.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meli55aG2001
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 1:21 AM
Maybe try burping him after every ounce. My daughters didn't have reflux but I did find that burping them more often during a feeding helped. Hope you get some answers and good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahsmommy508
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 1:22 AM
Maybe he was having a growth sport before my dd. was only eating 3 oz at 3 months and would sometimes eat more during growth spurts . maybe he just isn't hungry? .and as far as sleeping.at night hes still young so its perfectly normal for him to want eat during the night!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babygomez
by April on Jul. 17, 2012 at 3:11 AM

I'm sorry, my kids have never experienced any of this. ((hugs))

Bump.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)