Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

I need suggestions for my 4 month old DD.

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:44 AM
  • 4 Replies
My daughter is a night owl simply put. She tends to not go to bed until 4am and I need her to go to bed because I do need to be up during the day for school and such. I've tried giving her a lavender baby wash bath before bed with quiet time with the lights turned off. I've tried keeping her up during the day (she dozes off regradless). I even try making the night boring as possible to try to bore her to sleep.. No luck! I'm at a loss on what I should do! Do you have any suggestions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:29 AM

For starters, stop trying to keep her up all day  :)  It sounds counter-intuitive, but good sleep begets good sleep, so good naps lead to easier bedtimes for babies. 

I have found that some good playtime in the early evening, followed by some quiet time (reading stories, relaxing, winding down), followed by bedtime routine works well, and they tend to naturally flow from one to the next without even realizing that's where we're headed.

Also, at 4 months old it could easily be a growth spurt or teething trouble keeping her up  :/ 

Blue_Spiral
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 2:11 AM

I have the same issue.

My son is a terror about sleep these days.

He absolutely REFUSES to nap until it is 9 pm. Then he will stay up until 3-5 am, and even has gone as early as 7 am without sleeping. 

It makes us both cranky out of our minds because it's just so unhealthy!

I FIGHT to make him wake up early and then let him have a nap at a NORMAL healthy time, and he still stays up until 3 am.

I'm at a complete loss.

It's just bizarre.

I am a very natural, gentle mom, but my son has never responded to a soft, quiet, gentle bedtime, EVER. 

Even as a newborn  my husband would turn on hard rock music and my son would just settle right and go to sleep happy as can be.

To this day if I try to stick to the healthy routine of dark lighting and soft sounds, he will stay up indefinitely.

If I have a movie on in the background or some agressive music he will drift right off (given he's ready for it.) But even if he's logically or time-wise ready for sleep, a dark, soothing environment keeps him WIDE AWAKE.

That's just my experience. I know it's a weird one, but maybe something I said will help you in SOME way lol

Adamsmommy602
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 2:17 AM
Chamomile tea (: my sons pedi suggested it. You should ask yours it helped alot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mariscilla
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 4:16 AM

Sorry momma. I know it can be exhausting. My son was that way till about 6 months old and was a 10-15 min power napper- when he fell sleep it was only for 2-3 hours and was back up and at it. when he was 2 I was so exhausted from my pregnancy that I started to let him sleep with me. I was defeated. I tried everything. co sleeping was nothing I wanted but it was the only way to sleep. yes he would still wake up but realize we were there and go right back to sleep. I wish you the best.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)