Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Birth Rape??? Get over it!

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 11:50 AM
  • 149 Replies
12 moms liked this
Now that I have your attention. I have been seeing more and more on the issue of "birth rape". The birth of my ds was not as pleasant as I would have liked but can I call it Rape? No, consciously, I cannot. I was in the Navy when ds was born and when I delivered I had a wonderful friendly nurse and a terrible unfriendly doctor niether of whom I had never even met. I wasn't sure how things were really supposed to go but I can't blame the hospital for not educating myself more on things that could potentially go wrong or right. I know every situation is different and that some women who feel they have had a "birth rape" experience may have a legitimate claim of malpractice. However, I don't feel like this would apply to the majority of women throwing this term around! I realize that this is going to be found offensive but I offer no apology for the way i feel on the issue . I do sincerely hate that any woman have to experience a tramatic birth and hope that you can eventually cope. How do actual rape victims feel about this new coined term being tossed around and do you think the experience is even comparible? I realize that birth can be a traumatic experience but in the end don't the majority bring home a healthy new life to rejoice over and shouldn't that be the focus? The fact that people are actually looking to persue "rape" charges boggles my mind.

Edit: I was aware when I made the post that "get over it" the title is slightly insensitive. But ladies let's come up with a new term for this experience. The definition of rape recentlyt been amended by Attorney General Eric holder.
http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/attorney-general-eric-holder-announces-revisions-to-the-uniform-crime-reports-definition-of-rape.
Birth Rape would accurately fall under this definition. Previously rape was defined as : the crime, committed by a person, of forcing another personL to have sexual intercourse by the threat or use of violence. The legal definition varys from state to state but most define rape with the use of violence or threat. Should a doctor wake you before they check your cervix? Hell yes. You should be told of what they are going to do to you, as it is your body. But are they violently and maliciously taking from you? I seriously doubt it. I think most medical professionals are just doing there job and are not "getting off" on the discomfort of the woman in labor. And by no means does it minimize what a rape victim might feel going through a "birth rape" but to seriously consider filing charges and classifying it a rape and putting the doctor with a lack in judgement in the same category as the guy who jumps out of the bush and RAPEs a jogger is rediculous. And IMO people who use the term " birth rape" are just as insitive for using that term.
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
conweis
by New Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

People want to press charges to keep doctors from doing it to other women. US has one of the highest mortality rates for laboring women and infants. Many studies have been done that show it is because of unnecessary procedures. That is why there has been a large move of women to go back to midwives.

doulala
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

So you did not have a BR situation.      But some do.  
 Telling them to "get over it" is very insensitive.

:-(

I know of several rape victems that have been through both and said it felt the same.     

brittney28
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 11:58 AM
3 moms liked this
I agree with you OP.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Quoting conweis:

People want to press charges to keep doctors from doing it to other women. US has one of the highest mortality rates for laboring women and infants. Many studies have been done that show it is because of unnecessary procedures. That is why there has been a large move of women to go back to midwives.

Yes~

Not everyone seems to understand this issue.   ---Okay, so don't understand.    But no need to be cruel.

Kitsun
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:01 PM
15 moms liked this
I'm sorry, I've been raped. While I agree the birth may have been traumatic, I think it needs a different title.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmandaMaeBell
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:02 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm like you, I do't really understand how it could be "rape".  My first birthing experience was very tramatic, but I can't for the live of me figure out how that could constitute as rape.

doulala
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Quoting AmandaMaeBell:

I'm like you, I do't really understand how it could be "rape".  My first birthing experience was very tramatic, but I can't for the live of me figure out how that could constitute as rape.

So perhaps you can't, it's not, no need to try and make it be called that.      There are other people that have experiences that do fit the term.

Hellcat1980
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree completely having been date raped and having a long and painful inducement with the birth of my dd....the rape i had nightmares from the forceful placement of the foley ball i got over after i held my daughter. I believe that yes there are true malpractice cases but it needs a different title then rape
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandymonk518
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:08 PM
2 moms liked this
I think that making a change so that other women don't have the experience is a good thing. I don't dispute the fact that there are unnecessary procedures that cause harm but I feel it should fall under "malpractice" not "sexual assualt"

Quoting conweis:

doulala
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

People think traumatic birth means birth rape I guess.     I hear from those who are "birth raped" talk about sexual assault within their trauma.    The details make for the terminology.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)