Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

I know it's her wishes but I feel bad *update*

Posted by   + Show Post

I babysit my nephew (2 years old) during the week form 10am-7pm. Today my sister told me that when he naps to only let him nap for 45 minutes and then wake him up. She didn't give me a reason why though. I have been able to put him down for a nap when my ds naps at 1pm. My ds is 4 months older than his cousin and my ds naps for 2-3 hours. I just don't know why she wants me to wake him, she wouldn't give me a straight answer. I know it's her wishes but I feel bad for not allowing him to nap longer. The other day when he was here I let him nap as long as he wanted (before she told me this) and that was for 2 hours.

Would you wake him or let him nap as long as he wants?

*Yesterday I asked her about it, she said he goes to bed fine, but she thinks he is getting too old for longer naps. Today I went by her wishes and woke him after 45 mins, which resulted in him crying inconsolably for about an hour, waking my ds early from his nap, so my ds was also upset. After about an hour and half of crying, my nephew passed out on the floor, so I put him down and he slept for another hour.

by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Replies (41-46):
mommyhonu
by Mary on Aug. 4, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Poor guy ... he's still tired. To old to nap that long? hmmmm, are you going to let him sleep longer next time?

Mikayla5
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 3:39 AM
I mean I take my 23 month old to daycare twice,a week from 10 am - 2:30 pm so I can do things.on tuesday and thursday. I have requests like have her put shoes on outside.. I really appreciate when my requests are followed. But I wouldnt be mad if my requests were changed to benefit sarah...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSulli2005
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 4:37 AM
At 5 my oldest boy can sleep 2-3 hours! He's up at the butt crack of dawn so some days I let him. Other days I try to keep him up because I know he won't sleep at night. Anyhow...2? Let the kid sleep. He may get up earlier than his body wants him too so a nap doesn't hurt, and what adult likes a 45 minute nap?! I need at least 90 minutes lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HarrisonMD
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:49 AM

At that age...let them sleep, especially if they are still going down for bedtime just fine. IMO, 2 yr olds are gonna nap for however long they need to.  DD who is also 2 will sometimes power nap in the car for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on where we are going for that day and be just fine, but when we're at home, I usually put her down between 12 and 1pm, sometimes she naps for an hour, other times she naps for 2 to 3 hours.  So if you're watching your nephew and he's on the same schedule as your son...what is going to hurt?

stacy2607
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:18 AM
I would not wake him up.. I have 2 1/2 yr old DD, I let her sleep for her naps and I don't wake her up and she always gets up after about an 1 1/2-2 hrs.. There was one time where I did have to wake her for a dr apt and she was so mad.. She screamed and said " mommy, why you wake me up, I tired, I wanna sleep!!"
CafeMom Tickers
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 1:14 PM

you're sister is crazy, my dd is almost 3 and she still takes a 2-3 hour nap every day, most daycares have them go down for about 2 hours at this age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)