Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please help me! I don't know what to do!!! (sorry kinda long)

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 8:24 PM
  • 41 Replies

Please can someone help me i am terrified! ok so here is the story

I have a newborn baby girl named Vivian and she is 3 weeks old she will be 4 weeks on sunday. Vivian was born early and was considered a preemie she was kept in the NICU for a week due to respiratory distress and surfactant deficiency they released her to go home on july 15th (which was a sunday) that weds she had her first appointment her discharge weight was 5lbs 15oz  her birth weight was 6lbs 6.2oz.

At her first doctors appointment they weighed her and said she was 6.7lbs he said the next time we see him she should be 71/2 to 8lbs so we go today for her 2nd checkup, they put her on the scale and it says she is back to her birth weight. the doctor is worried he said if she wasnt up to at least 7 1/2lbs next weds she was going to be placed on special medical care which means she goes back into the hospital for god knows how long.

I am terrified i dont want her to go back to the hospital and i dont want her to be sick! What i dont understand is how a baby can eat soo much and not gain weight, she lost weight and she eats non stop! she will eat up to 4-6oz of breastmilk and still be hungry and we will give her some formula and she will normally only eat 3oz and be full so sometimes we will have to top her off with formula. Like right now she just ate 3 oz of formula and is now eating breastmilk (she only drank .5 of an oz)

I dont understand! how is it that my child is eating like crazy and has lost weight! please can someone help me give me some tips or something i dont want her going back!

Oldest to most recent last one was taken today

by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kristen.Reavis
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 8:34 PM

BUMP!

preacherskid
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 8:34 PM
2 moms liked this
How are diapers? She gained back to birth weight, from there if she were strictly breastfed you would look for a gain of four to six ounces in a MONTH, and six to eight diaper changes in twenty four hours. My second was a preemie, four weeks early, you can't expect massive amounts of gain in a preemie. At this point your baby is NOT losing weight,she has gained weight beautifully. If you haven't already, drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group- they canbreakit down and give you tons of info. You're doing good :)
Kristen.Reavis
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 8:46 PM

thank you, her diapers are consistant she has more wet than dirty if she is just breastfed during the day she has more dirty than when she has formula mixed i know its cause of the water. he said shes lost weight she went from 6.7 to 6 6.2 and he is saying if she doesnt gain a whole pound in a week he is going to have her admitted! i think thats messed up how can a baby gain a pound in a week!? i think its just sick

ShannieP
by Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never heard of a baby gaining a puns in a week, especially not a preemie ...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Aug. 2, 2012 at 8:55 PM

please drop by the breastfeeding group and ask them, the ladies there are very knowlegeble. 

Quoting Kristen.Reavis:

thank you, her diapers are consistant she has more wet than dirty if she is just breastfed during the day she has more dirty than when she has formula mixed i know its cause of the water. he said shes lost weight she went from 6.7 to 6 6.2 and he is saying if she doesnt gain a whole pound in a week he is going to have her admitted! i think thats messed up how can a baby gain a pound in a week!? i think its just sick

CafeMom Tickers
aimeegreen4ever
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 8:56 PM
I had a 10wk early preemie and since I wanted to bf him they made me pump and add a supplement, they had me to neosure, you can buy it at Walmart. Don't do this though unless you talk to a doctor. DS had a very hard time gaining weight... I pumped and supplemented for about 6 months then went to the Neosure formula until he was 1. I'd ask your doctor about maybe doing something like adding a supplement to your bm before sending you back to the NICU. I know how devastating that would be... Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kristen.Reavis
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 8:59 PM

thank you!

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this
How do you breastfeed? Is she nursing at the breast or only by bottle? Make sure she's not just getting the foremilk, which is mostly water, but the hindmilk, which is where all of her weight gaining calories are. Let her nurse on one side for as long as she's willing to so she gets lots of hindmilk. The more you top her off with formula though, the more in danger your milk supply will be.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kristen.Reavis
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Quoting Turtledoves:

How do you breastfeed? Is she nursing at the breast or only by bottle? Make sure she's not just getting the foremilk, which is mostly water, but the hindmilk, which is where all of her weight gaining calories are. Let her nurse on one side for as long as she's willing to so she gets lots of hindmilk. The more you top her off with formula though, the more in danger your milk supply will be.

both she eats on one until i cant do it anymore (she bites and she even drew blood last week) its about 10min on the first than on the second until she gets tired and quits 

MrsApple
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Why in the world would they expect her to gain that much in that short amount of time?! She sounds fine.She only lost a couple of oz.Not an issue!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)