Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I be concerned yet?

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:27 PM
  • 9 Replies

My 11 1/2 month old son is still not eating stage 3 foods or any type of food for that matter that is even somewhat thick or chunky. He will literally gag and has gave me a scare a few different times when I've tried giving him something that isn't completely pureed, he starts choking for a few seconds so I'm scared to death to give him num num cookies or the little puff's. He would def choke if i was to just put one of those in his mouth, he acts like he doesn't know what to do with it, like he doesn't understand the concept of using his teeth to chew yet. He already has 7 teeth, 4 on top and 3 on bottom. His first Bday will be on Oct 6th and I don't see him being able to dig into a birthday cake like most 1 yr olds do by that age.

I've talked to his pediatrican and she says to try num num's but she doesn't understand that he will definitely choke on those right now. She says if he had an actual swallowing problem that he wouldn't be able to eat or drink anything at all so she doesn't seem to think there is anything wrong w/him, but she couldn't really give me an answer on why he's not able to eat things that most babies his age are eating.

I don't know if it's related but I know when he was an infant he use to choke quite a bit during a feeding of a bottle and sometimes just start kind of choking/coughing when he was just laying there in his swing or on the floor. Even now sometimes when he's drinking out of his sippy cup he seems to get choked. How old was your child when they first learned to eat more chunky/hard things or any type of food they had to actually chew and swallow, like puff's, num num cookies, peas, tiny pieces of chicken? Just wondering if I'm the only one who's went through this.

by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM
We did purees for a very short time before we decided to do baby led weaning. So she was eating real food, cut into chunks by 7 months old I believe.
Here's a bump mama, hope you get some answers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama91605
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM
If you don't allow him to eat real food how will he learn. Just watch him closely while he eats. My kids never est baby food and by 11 months they were eating almost everything we ate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:51 PM
My kids never ate jarred food or baby junk food like puffs, etc. They could definitely eat real food by 11 months though. Here's a bump :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjimaging
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 10:55 PM
My son was te same way as yours. We could only get purees down. He literally gagged on everything. So we didn't push it. His gag reflex went away around 13 months and now he eats fine. He's three now. If he's gagging, just hold off an try again in a week or so. If he still gags, hold off again. That's what we did. He wasn't ready an when he was, he ate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lauratupper
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Quoting larissalarie:

My kids never ate jarred food or baby junk food like puffs, etc. They could definitely eat real food by 11 months though. Here's a bump :-)

calvinsmommy18
by Nicole on Sep. 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM
My ds refused baby food at 11 months. He would only eat what we ate then. Dd is 8 months now and she's bearly eating baby food. Maybe only twice a day. She wasn't as excited about solids as ds was
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaitlynsmommy09
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 10:58 PM

My daughter is 10mths n she gags on stage 3. I think she gets confused cause its runny but has chunks, but she eats pizza, chicken nuggets, puffs pretty much everything we eat try some of the gerber melt aways first then move to the puffs they dissolve also..

VintageWife
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I would just put off the chunky foods for a couple months. Kids aren't one size fits all so he may not be ready.

ssenter
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 12:16 AM
I never gave ds stage three foods because I just started giving him what ever I was eating personally I think stage three confuses baby's because it two textures in one bite. I would try giving him what your eating and see how he does.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)